THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM

PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO
THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM

The meeting place for watch and clock enthusiasts also @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/Thewatchandclockforum/

Latest topics

» Thursday 13 December 2018.
Today at 08:48 by daff62

» Friday 7 November 2018.
Fri Dec 07 2018, 08:46 by daff62

» Polar explorer 2
Tue Dec 04 2018, 18:23 by Iceblue

» Monday 3rd December
Mon Dec 03 2018, 13:35 by Iceblue

» Saturday 1st December 2018.
Sat Dec 01 2018, 14:09 by SeikoJohn

» Friday 30 November 2018.
Fri Nov 30 2018, 22:02 by Robti

» Wednesday 28 November 2018.
Wed Nov 28 2018, 10:54 by SeikoJohn

» Seiko skx399
Tue Nov 27 2018, 15:11 by Iceblue

» Tuesday 27th November
Tue Nov 27 2018, 10:38 by SeikoJohn

Top posting users this month

December 2018

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31      

Calendar Calendar

Like/Tweet/+1

Affiliates


visit Forumotion

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+


Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Share
avatar
domecurb
Admin

Posts : 3112
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland

Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by domecurb on Mon Jan 30 2017, 12:23

i have lusted after the MM300 for ages now and for me it ticks all the right boxes, IMO its stunning


Seiko have been re-releasing a few models lately and i find them not only over priced but also lacking in quality control.......i think they have sold their soul to the devil in doing so.

this is one of the new MM300's Shocked


and this:shock:


and this Shocked


and this:shock:


and this affraid

apologies if anyone likes these, but i am so disappointed Sad
Seiko........what are you doing ?  scratch
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER

Posts : 1743
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by daff62 on Mon Jan 30 2017, 13:52

The first Marine Master is beautiful.

I don't understand the design logic behind the new releases though. The last model in gold looks very 1970s which is fine if you like that style. Very Happy I wonder if Seiko are using designs in response to the demand for them or to quantify a new range of Marinemasters by changing the design. scratch

The watches might look better in real life though as images can be deceptive. It would be interesting to see if the build quality and movements are on par with the original.

Given my very limited knowledge on Seikos it will also be interesting to see what other members of the Forum think. Very Happy
avatar
domecurb
Admin

Posts : 3112
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by domecurb on Mon Jan 30 2017, 14:22

here's another re-release, there has been a lot of complaints about quality control on these, mainly misaligned chapted ring, misaligned bezel insert and mismatched lume on the hands and dial.....inexcusable IMO when even the cheapst Chinese watches can do better QC Neutral
the Prospex branded watch are meant to be Japanese made, i have wondered if the are using Japanese and Chinese parts that dont match well ?

actually you can see the lume miss match Shocked
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin

Posts : 2556
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 47
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by SeikoJohn on Mon Jan 30 2017, 16:36

I really like the Padi it is something I would like to own but like yourself heard an awful lot about poor quality control as for the new Marine Masters you show they look ... well ... they look like Designer watches. They do not even come close to an original MM


_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin

Posts : 3112
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by domecurb on Mon Jan 30 2017, 20:50

@SeikoJohn wrote:I really like the Padi it is something I would like to own but like yourself heard an awful lot about poor quality control as for the new Marine Masters you show they look ... well ... they look like Designer watches. They do not even come close to an original MM  

i dont like the "Padi" it reminds me of Irish jokes ............here the one about Pady and Mick ? Laughing
avatar
Elwood
FULL MEMBER

Posts : 549
Join date : 2016-09-26
Location : South West England

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by Elwood on Mon Jan 30 2017, 21:07

The quality control isn't something I have any first hand knowledge of though I can talk about their looks;

The Padi looks ok in my opinion.

I like the cases, bezels and bracelets on the others, but the dials look a bit odd to me, especially in the colours they've used. I'm really not sure about the greeny blue dials. Then again I never really got orange monsters. I'd like to see these watches in person, but probably to have a closer inspection as to why they look a bit odd.

Then the last watch, in gold - its grown on me as I've been writing this. I don't have any bling but there could be worse ways to start a collection of bling than owning this. Probably not a watch I would go for however I can see it having a big appeal in some areas of the world.

I don't know how much these cost though, I would hope they are less than£300?
avatar
domecurb
Admin

Posts : 3112
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by domecurb on Mon Jan 30 2017, 21:15

@Elwood wrote:The quality control isn't something I have any first hand knowledge of though I can talk about their looks;

The Padi looks ok in my opinion.

I like the cases, bezels and bracelets on the others, but the dials look a bit odd to me, especially in the colours they've used.  I'm really not sure about the greeny blue dials. Then again I never really got orange monsters. I'd like to see these watches in person, but probably to have a closer inspection as to why they look a bit odd.

Then the last watch, in gold - its grown on me as I've been writing this. I don't have any bling but there could be worse ways to start a collection of bling than owning this. Probably not a watch I would go for however I can see it having a big appeal in some areas of the world.

I don't know how much these cost though, I would hope they are less than£300?

"I would hope they are less than£300?"
lol! try £2000 affraid
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER

Posts : 1743
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by daff62 on Mon Jan 30 2017, 21:38

@domecurb wrote:
@Elwood wrote:The quality control isn't something I have any first hand knowledge of though I can talk about their looks;

The Padi looks ok in my opinion.

I like the cases, bezels and bracelets on the others, but the dials look a bit odd to me, especially in the colours they've used.  I'm really not sure about the greeny blue dials. Then again I never really got orange monsters. I'd like to see these watches in person, but probably to have a closer inspection as to why they look a bit odd.

Then the last watch, in gold - its grown on me as I've been writing this. I don't have any bling but there could be worse ways to start a collection of bling than owning this. Probably not a watch I would go for however I can see it having a big appeal in some areas of the world.

I don't know how much these cost though, I would hope they are less than£300?

"I would hope they are less than£300?"
lol!  try £2000 affraid

That's shocking, never would have imagined that figure. I am clueless though regarding modern watches and their retail price points. Think I am better sticking with vintage watches. Shocked
avatar
domecurb
Admin

Posts : 3112
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by domecurb on Mon Jan 30 2017, 21:43

@daff62 wrote:
@domecurb wrote:
@Elwood wrote:The quality control isn't something I have any first hand knowledge of though I can talk about their looks;

The Padi looks ok in my opinion.

I like the cases, bezels and bracelets on the others, but the dials look a bit odd to me, especially in the colours they've used.  I'm really not sure about the greeny blue dials. Then again I never really got orange monsters. I'd like to see these watches in person, but probably to have a closer inspection as to why they look a bit odd.

Then the last watch, in gold - its grown on me as I've been writing this. I don't have any bling but there could be worse ways to start a collection of bling than owning this. Probably not a watch I would go for however I can see it having a big appeal in some areas of the world.

I don't know how much these cost though, I would hope they are less than£300?

"I would hope they are less than£300?"
lol!  try £2000 affraid

That's shocking, never would have imagined that figure. I am clueless though regarding modern watches and their retail price points. Think I am better sticking with vintage watches. Shocked

yes the MM300 has gone up a bit recently with changes in the exchange rates, i still think the original black MM is worth the money, but not those other ones Mad
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin

Posts : 2556
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 47
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by SeikoJohn on Mon Jan 30 2017, 21:44

Seriously .... £2000 that is shocking


_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin

Posts : 3112
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by domecurb on Mon Jan 30 2017, 21:53

avatar
Elwood
FULL MEMBER

Posts : 549
Join date : 2016-09-26
Location : South West England

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by Elwood on Tue Jan 31 2017, 06:25

@domecurb wrote:
@Elwood wrote:The quality control isn't something I have any first hand knowledge of though I can talk about their looks;

The Padi looks ok in my opinion.

I like the cases, bezels and bracelets on the others, but the dials look a bit odd to me, especially in the colours they've used.  I'm really not sure about the greeny blue dials. Then again I never really got orange monsters. I'd like to see these watches in person, but probably to have a closer inspection as to why they look a bit odd.

Then the last watch, in gold - its grown on me as I've been writing this. I don't have any bling but there could be worse ways to start a collection of bling than owning this. Probably not a watch I would go for however I can see it having a big appeal in some areas of the world.

I don't know how much these cost though, I would hope they are less than£300?

"I would hope they are less than£300?"
lol!  try £2000 affraid

Holy cow. Can't say much about that, I'm in too much shock. I can think of better ways to spank £2k. I'd rather have a Tag reissue for that sort of price.

BASHER

Posts : 62
Join date : 2017-02-04
Age : 48
Location : East Midlands

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by BASHER on Sun Feb 05 2017, 18:57

I quite like the look of the Pepsi Marine Master. I think mostly because it has the same hand set as the original.
The SJX Padi looks nice with the red indices on the chapter ring.
Regarding the quality control issues, are they known to be assembled outside of Japan? (I'm not alluding to the J and K scenario !)
avatar
domecurb
Admin

Posts : 3112
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by domecurb on Sun Feb 05 2017, 19:13

@BASHER wrote:I quite like the look of the Pepsi Marine Master. I think mostly because it has the same hand set as the original.
The SJX Padi looks nice with the red indices on the chapter ring.
Regarding the quality control issues, are they known to be assembled outside of Japan? (I'm not alluding to the J and K scenario !)

the Prospex range are Japanese made however its quite possible that some components are Chinese or Malaysian in origin as both countries make Seiko parts

BASHER

Posts : 62
Join date : 2017-02-04
Age : 48
Location : East Midlands

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by BASHER on Sun Feb 05 2017, 19:19

I wondered if they were made outside of Japan, maybe the quality control processes could be less stringent.
Mis aligned chapter rings would be quite easy to pick up on in a QC process.
avatar
domecurb
Admin

Posts : 3112
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by domecurb on Sun Feb 05 2017, 19:22

@BASHER wrote:I wondered if they were made outside of Japan, maybe the quality control processes could be less stringent.
Mis aligned chapter rings would be quite easy to pick up on in a QC process.

its a thought.......i dont believe for one second a watch would leave Japan with faults like that, goes against the Japanese life/work ethos

BASHER

Posts : 62
Join date : 2017-02-04
Age : 48
Location : East Midlands

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by BASHER on Sun Feb 05 2017, 19:25

I guess the dial colours of the Marine Masters above will appeal to some people, and may even command I high price in the future if not many pieces are sold.

I would quite like to own a green Sumo, but i know many others would rather not . . .

avatar
domecurb
Admin

Posts : 3112
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by domecurb on Sun Feb 05 2017, 19:36

@BASHER wrote:I guess the dial colours of the Marine Masters above will appeal to some people, and may even command I high price in the future if not many pieces are sold.

I would quite like to own a green Sumo, but i know many others would rather not . . .


i had the blue Sumo and for me it was the subtle colour that i found attractive, but then my taste in dials is predominantly black



i will say this though, regardless of colour scheme the Sumo range are superbly built watches.........i miss mine,but i wouldn't have worn it through fear of damaging it scratch

BASHER

Posts : 62
Join date : 2017-02-04
Age : 48
Location : East Midlands

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by BASHER on Sun Feb 05 2017, 20:33

I quite agree Bruce.
I regret selling my Sumo, probably one of only two watches I regret flipping. The other being an 011j

Sponsored content

Re: Seiko Marine Master SBDX001

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Thu Dec 13 2018, 19:48