THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM

PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The meeting place for watch and clock enthusiasts also @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/Thewatchandclockforum/

Latest topics

» Anyone Around!
Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! EmptySun Dec 27 2020, 15:54 by Robti

» sub £50 screwdriver set
Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! EmptySun Jun 21 2020, 12:11 by Robti

» Anyone bought anything during lockdown
Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! EmptyThu May 14 2020, 07:27 by Iceblue

» How is everybody
Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! EmptyWed Apr 01 2020, 15:35 by Robti

» 2020 future watch collection
Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! EmptyWed Jan 01 2020, 09:21 by Iceblue

» 31st December 2019
Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! EmptyTue Dec 31 2019, 20:41 by Iceblue

» Happy new year too you all
Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! EmptyTue Dec 31 2019, 20:29 by Iceblue

» Merry Christmas
Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! EmptyWed Dec 25 2019, 21:47 by Robti

» 13th November 2019
Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! EmptyWed Nov 13 2019, 17:54 by Iceblue

Top posting users this month

No user

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Like/Tweet/+1

Affiliates

visit Forumotion

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+

5 posters

Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine!

Elwood
    Elwood

Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! Empty Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine!

Post by Elwood Sun Nov 27 2016, 12:19

I tried posting this somewhere else without much in the way of a response. Either a dull subject or got missed because of the high traffic on the sit that day! I was wondering what people thought of sterile, non-branded watches? I've never personally gone for homages like Steinharts, just not my thing though I don't fault people who like them. I've never previously been that interested in divers either.  But of late, I am attracted by modded sterile divers, by the likes of Yobokies and Dagaz.

There are also companies such as Parnis who make sterile homages, and these watches tend to be reasonably well regarded too. Then there are makes like Alpha and Corgeut who make either steriles or homages though create a bit of debate because they're considered to have crossed a grey line which skirts a bit close to the replica market.  What makes the likes of modded divers and Steinharts so well thought of and relatively accepted in comparison to the companies like Alpha and Corgeut? Where is the line is which crossed between the two in terms of acceptability?

There are some pictures below of a modded Seiko with a Yobokies Black Bay style dial and a Tudor Black Bay. I must admit, I personally prefer the modded Seiko, either way two great watches.

Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! Image12
    Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! Image13
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! Empty Re: Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine!

Post by domecurb Sun Nov 27 2016, 12:40

an endless debate i think, but first and foremost i think we should all condemn fakes ........PERIOD !
    as for Homages my opinion is that all watches are Homages, all styles started somewhere.
    look at Mercedes hands.......as far as i am concerned they say : ROLEX and yet they are used by a multitude of brands so does that make them all Homages or just followers of fashion?
    the two watches @Elwood shows are beautiful IMO and clearly the Seiko Mod is going for a certain look, but is it wrong ?  personally i dont think so......it wont affect the sales of Tudor or Seiko for that matter and again IMO i think its a positive advert for both brands.
    i have looked at these cases for a while now as i really like the style and there is nothing to stop anyone fitting a totally different style of dial and as such creating a unique watch
    Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! S-l500
    i put this together a while ago, the origins of the case are clear, but its obvious its not a know branded watch
    Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! DSCF9808

i think the arguments will go on forever mostly perpetuated by people with the "real" watches scared somehow that their precious wrist candy is somehow being devalued........i believe its the opposite;)
    Elwood
    Elwood

Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! Empty Re: Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine!

Post by Elwood Sun Nov 27 2016, 12:45

Bruce, I agree, fakes are wrong, end of story as far as I'm concerned. I personally think, whatever on life it relates to, styles of influence are copied until they morph into something new. Just part of a natural evolutionary process
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Sun Nov 27 2016, 12:50

there is a long running [ and a bit boring ] argument that the Fifty Fathoms came out before the Rolex Sub and if that is the case then the Sub is a Homage Shocked , BUT .........who cares lol!
    Elwood
    Elwood

Post by Elwood Sun Nov 27 2016, 12:55

Yep, exactly who cares. I'd have one of each anyway! Going back to the pictures I posted, I'd have the Seiko mod over the Tudor. There's something about an unbranded watch which really appeals to me, it could be that no one other than a real aficionado would have a clue what I was wearing
    SeikoJohn
    SeikoJohn
    Admin

Post by SeikoJohn Sun Nov 27 2016, 13:22

Elwood wrote:Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! Image12

This is a beauty very appealing to the eye I would have that over the Tudor.

Fakes are just wrong and shouldnt be allowed but I can not see a problem with a Homage watch , I fully suport talented people that are able to buy a sterile watch and change its appearance to how they want it something I will hopefully have the confidence to do one day .
    Elwood
    Elwood

Post by Elwood Sun Nov 27 2016, 14:29

If you do get confident enough to do a job like this, you'll have to do one for me too!
    Pip
    Pip

Post by Pip Thu Dec 01 2016, 17:15

Unbranded homage you say? Say hello to the Sharkey Apocolypse!
    Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! 31148825222_329bb97a20_z_d
    It's built on a Seiko NH35 movement (I think that's what it's called). It's very comfy to wear, it's plenty accurate and the quality of it is surprising given the cost. Would I prefer to have a 6105-8110 original? You bet. But if I did I might still have one of these as a beater.
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Thu Dec 01 2016, 17:24

Pip wrote:Unbranded homage you say? Say hello to the Sharkey Apocolypse!
    Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! 31148825222_329bb97a20_z_d
    It's built on a Seiko NH35 movement (I think that's what it's called). It's very comfy to wear, it's plenty accurate and the quality of it is surprising given the cost. Would I prefer to have a 6105-8110 original? You bet. But if I did I might still have one of these as a beater.

thats a candidate for a seiko dial if ever i've seen one or a Dagaz or even Yobokies.......i am drooling at the thought Very Happy
    Pip
    Pip

Post by Pip Thu Dec 01 2016, 17:31

If I put a Seiko dial on it doesn't it then become a fake...? Embarassed I think people have bought them to mod though, there are some cool ones out there, like you say Yobokies and the like.
    I quite like the Sharkey to be honest (and my 5yo boy thinks it's way cool to have a shark on the dial) and have just ordered a tuna from them too. Same NH35 movement so should be just as nice.

Pip
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Thu Dec 01 2016, 17:33

Pip wrote:If I put a Seiko dial on it doesn't it then become a fake...? Embarassed  I think people have bought them to mod though, there are some cool ones out there, like you say Yobokies and the like.
    I quite like the Sharkey to be honest (and my 5yo boy thinks it's way cool to have a shark on the dial) and have just ordered a tuna from them too. Same NH35 movement so should be just as nice.

Pip

where did you get it....i would buy one in a flash
    Pip
    Pip

Post by Pip Thu Dec 01 2016, 17:44

It's a bit convoluted but not that difficult:
    Google for then go to a Chinese aggregator (?) website called spreenow. Create an account, then search for 6105-8110. When you see the sharky buy it then follow all the instructions. Basically you send the money, they buy it, they then receive it and tell you how much your shipping option will be, you pay that and then they send it. It's a wee bit complicated but doable. Took about 3 weeks or so from order to delivery in my case.
    Pip
    Pip
    Pip

Post by Pip Thu Dec 01 2016, 17:45

Alternatively I think some people are selling them on the bay now for around £150-£200.
    Iceblue
    Iceblue
    Admin

Post by Iceblue Thu Dec 01 2016, 18:04

This was one of my homage watches I owned complete Seiko to start with with a blue bezel insert and Tudor style hands and dials

Sterile, homage, fake or just god damn fine! AB73ABE9-C2D2-4D4E-8B30-E8CD1301125F_zpssgfhv9sg

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08 2024, 17:36