THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM
PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO
Latest topics
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Top posting users this month
82 Posts - 27%
76 Posts - 25%
40 Posts - 13%
36 Posts - 12%
24 Posts - 8%
22 Posts - 7%
20 Posts - 7%
1 Post - 0%
October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Calendar

Like/Tweet/+1
Affiliates

visit Forumotion

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+


Share
View previous topicGo downView next topic
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2670
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

design your perfect watch

on Thu Aug 31 2017, 16:08
if you could design your perfect watch what would it look like/spec etc

this would be mine......
it would be about 46mm wide
slightly more angular
4 to 5mm thick domed and AR coated sapphire crystal
but most importantly i would love to fit a Seiko 9F series quartz movement
and of course it would have TWCF on the dial Wink



what would you go for?
scribbles, CAD, photo's or just a description will do


_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2008
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: design your perfect watch

on Thu Aug 31 2017, 16:23
Oh that is a bit of a challenge , I will need time to think this over.

I will get back to you with an answer once I have done a bit of research

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2008
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: design your perfect watch

on Thu Aug 31 2017, 18:52
Mine would use the same casing as on the Apocalypse now Seiko 6105-8110



I would change the dial to blue and keep the rectangular markers but change to white and keep the chrome coloured outline around them



White snowflake hands but with a chrome/stainless edge



Instead of a black bezel insert it would be a blue one in this design



I will keep the crown at 4 but rather than an automatic movement I would use a SII VH31 Sweep Second Quartz or a similar one that is better . This movement is the one that is in my Aragon and rather than move every second it moves in  ¼  second increments.

It would arrive in a walnut wooden box and would include a chunky monkey stainless bracelet and a distressed looking brown leather strap both of which would be 22mm to fit the lugs

I think I have covered everything.... How many orders can I be expecting ? ?

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2670
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: design your perfect watch

on Thu Aug 31 2017, 19:12
SeikoJohn wrote:Mine would use the same casing as on the Apocalypse now Seiko 6105-8110



I would change the dial to blue and keep the rectangular markers but change to white and keep the chrome coloured outline around them



White snowflake hands but with a chrome/stainless edge



Instead of a black bezel insert it would be a blue one in this design



I will keep the crown at 4 but rather than an automatic movement I would use a SII VH31 Sweep Second Quartz or a similar one that is better  . This movement is the one that is in my Aragon and rather than move every second it moves in  ¼  second increments.

It would arrive in a walnut wooden box and would include a chunky monkey stainless bracelet and a distressed looking brown leather strap both of which would be 22mm to fit the lugs

I think I have covered everything.... How many orders can I be expecting ? ?

sign me up...i will take 3 thanks

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2008
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: design your perfect watch

on Thu Aug 31 2017, 22:53
@domecurb seeing as your knowledge of watches especially Seiko is a lot more advance than mine can I ask given the choice which quartz movement would you put in my watch and why ?? Or is the one I selected up to the job

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2670
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: design your perfect watch

on Thu Aug 31 2017, 23:12
SeikoJohn wrote:@domecurb seeing as your knowledge of watches especially Seiko is a lot more advance than mine can I ask given the choice which quartz movement would you put in my watch and why ??  Or is the one I selected up to the job

if money was no object then the Seiko 9F would be the movement to go for, i dont even know if you can buy them.........i would doubt that you can though as they are hand made in Japan Wink with a 50 year service interval and 5 seconds a year accuracy it is an amazing movement
the one you have chosen is very new so long term reliablity is an unknown at present hence not many watch brands are using them at this time, i would imagine being seiko it will be just as a good as any of the "bread and butter" movements they do, only known negative is battery life which is quoted as 2 years, a standard quartz could give you up to 6 years depending on the battery shelf life that was used........so the question is: do you/we need 4 beats per second from a quartz movement? personaly i like the 4 beats but i would go for the less energy hungry standard quartz movement, but thats just me

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2008
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: design your perfect watch

on Thu Aug 31 2017, 23:19
No hardship though changing a battery every couple of years so for me I would continue with the one I picked as it has a more smoother secondhand movement . Although the 9f sounds great me thinks it may increase the cost of production of my watch and I feel it only fair to my costs down for my customers.

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2670
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: design your perfect watch

on Thu Aug 31 2017, 23:31
SeikoJohn wrote:No hardship though changing a battery every couple of years so for me I would continue with the one I picked as it has a more smoother secondhand movement . Although the 9f sounds great me thinks it may increase the cost of production of my watch and I feel it only fair to my costs down for my customers.

i hope you are not going to come on here to try and flog your watches without asking admin first Mad

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2008
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: design your perfect watch

on Fri Sep 01 2017, 08:03
Thinking of posting my watch in the Kickstarter section lol

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2670
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: design your perfect watch

on Fri Sep 01 2017, 11:09
SeikoJohn wrote:Thinking of posting my watch in the Kickstarter section lol

i hope you are going to offer a heavy discount to the members Neutral

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1348
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: design your perfect watch

on Fri Sep 01 2017, 12:19
domecurb wrote:
SeikoJohn wrote:Thinking of posting my watch in the Kickstarter section lol

i hope you are going to offer  a heavy discount to the members Neutral



Something like a 100% discount would be good as long as the postage is free. lol!
avatar
Iceblue
Admin
Posts : 858
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Bedfordshire

Re: design your perfect watch

on Fri Sep 01 2017, 17:56
Let's think

Stainless steel Square case
White chrono dial
Blue hands set
Approx 42mm case
2-3mm thick
22mm lug width
Screw down chron buttons
Solid stainless steel back case

I think that would fit the bill for me
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2008
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: design your perfect watch

on Sun Sep 03 2017, 11:26
Just found the dial I want on my watch



Not sure if the blue is the right shade I tgink I may go darker

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2670
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: design your perfect watch

on Sun Sep 03 2017, 13:38
SeikoJohn wrote:Just found the dial I want on my watch



Not sure if the blue is the right shade I tgink I may go darker

i think this may be as close as you will get colour wise



thats from yobokies, but they do other MM style dials just not in that colour

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
Sponsored content

Re: design your perfect watch

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum