THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM
PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO
Latest topics
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Top posting users this month
35 Posts - 41%
18 Posts - 21%
16 Posts - 19%
11 Posts - 13%
6 Posts - 7%
June 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar

Like/Tweet/+1
Affiliates

visit Forumotion

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+

Go down
SeikoJohn
Admin

New dial and chapter ring for SKX007 (photo heavy)

on Tue Jun 12 2018, 10:39
I bought a new dial and chapter ring last week from Rob at Monsterwatches

Last night I decided to create the mod , here is the donor SKX007

A few tools

away we go .

First I removed the bezel and put this to one side as I do not need to use it I have a spare in my spares box

Next movement out and remove the hands

Hands off and dial removed time to put the new dial and hands onto the movement . I was not sure which hands to use so I placed these over the dial first to see how they would look but was not happy with them and went with original 007 hour and minute hand with a red secondhand

Hands on (I do not like putting new hands on a movement I do not have enough confidence in myself but took it slow and steady and all was good)

Next is chapter ring firstly out with the crystal and existing chapter ring , normally they have a little key on the ring that slots into a groove on the case .... this one had not key so carefully lined everything up and popped the crystal back in .... yup you guessed it the chapter ring slightly misaligned . Movement back out crystal back out chapter realigned and crystal popped back in ... hey presto all is good .

Next to decide which bezel insert to use

Decision made .

here is the finished product , I am extremely happy with the outcome and would highly recommend Monsterwatches , quick delivery (to UK) and the dial is quality

Admin
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: New dial and chapter ring for SKX007 (photo heavy)

on Tue Jun 12 2018, 11:01
well done, IMO the black bezel insert looks the best

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
SeikoJohn
Admin

on Tue Jun 12 2018, 11:07
@domecurb wrote:well done, IMO the black bezel insert looks the best

I liked the plain gun metal grey insert at first but I think the black makes the dial look better.

Admin

on Tue Jun 12 2018, 11:08
@SeikoJohn wrote:
@domecurb wrote:well done, IMO the black bezel insert looks the best

I liked the plain gun metal grey insert at first but I think the black makes the dial look better.

it all ties in nicely

daff62

on Tue Jun 12 2018, 11:52
Thanks for posting/ sharing this and the modded watch looks great.

I also prefer the black insert though the orange ones also looks nice and would match the sweep second hand.

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment wearing the watch as it’s really been a project well done and thought through. Very Happy
SeikoJohn
Admin

on Tue Jun 12 2018, 12:02
@daff62 wrote:Thanks for posting/ sharing this and the modded watch looks great.

I also prefer the black insert though the orange ones also looks nice and would match the sweep second hand.

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment wearing the watch as it’s really been a project well done and thought through. Very Happy

Cheers David , As I am sure Domecurb will confirm I have had an itch for a new watch for a few weeks with countless pm's to him but this mod seems to have scratched my itch ( well for now anyway ) Very Happy

Admin

on Tue Jun 12 2018, 16:00
Bugger the little pointer on the hour hand just clips the date box and will not move past it , guess I am removing the hands tonight and clipping the little pointer off.

Admin

on Tue Jun 12 2018, 16:32
@SeikoJohn wrote:Bugger the little pointer on the hour hand just clips the date box and will not move past it , guess I am removing the hands tonight and clipping the little pointer off.

NNOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! Shocked

just level the hand, get a tooth pick or similar and lift the end of the hand slightly so it misses the date window, but not high enough to effect the second hand or you may need to lift it slightly too

daff62

on Tue Jun 12 2018, 16:42
@SeikoJohn wrote:Bugger the little pointer on the hour hand just clips the date box and will not move past it , guess I am removing the hands tonight and clipping the little pointer off.

I would be tempted to tap the watch face down in the palm of my hand. Not a very professional approach but if it slightly moved the hour hand just enough to clear the date window it could be a quick fix.

I think though Domecurbs advice will probably be the best way forward.

Good luck with it & let us know how you get on.
SeikoJohn
Admin

on Tue Jun 12 2018, 20:01
Hands removed and hour hand clipped but could I bugger as like get the secondhand back on , tried and tried , took a breather and tried a different secondhand .

All finished I am NOT opening this watch again. Just need to wait for the red bezel insert to arrive now.

on Wed Jun 13 2018, 12:04
I’m not surprised you don’t want to open the case again. As it turns out that second hand has a better contrast with the dial and the touch of red matches the logo so to my eye it’s worked out well.
SeikoJohn
Admin

on Wed Jun 13 2018, 12:38
Cheers David I must admit I like this secondhand better as well.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum