THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM

PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The meeting place for watch and clock enthusiasts also @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/Thewatchandclockforum/

Latest topics

» Anyone Around!
Removing a cyclops from a crystal  EmptySun Dec 27 2020, 15:54 by Robti

» sub £50 screwdriver set
Removing a cyclops from a crystal  EmptySun Jun 21 2020, 12:11 by Robti

» Anyone bought anything during lockdown
Removing a cyclops from a crystal  EmptyThu May 14 2020, 07:27 by Iceblue

» How is everybody
Removing a cyclops from a crystal  EmptyWed Apr 01 2020, 15:35 by Robti

» 2020 future watch collection
Removing a cyclops from a crystal  EmptyWed Jan 01 2020, 09:21 by Iceblue

» 31st December 2019
Removing a cyclops from a crystal  EmptyTue Dec 31 2019, 20:41 by Iceblue

» Happy new year too you all
Removing a cyclops from a crystal  EmptyTue Dec 31 2019, 20:29 by Iceblue

» Merry Christmas
Removing a cyclops from a crystal  EmptyWed Dec 25 2019, 21:47 by Robti

» 13th November 2019
Removing a cyclops from a crystal  EmptyWed Nov 13 2019, 17:54 by Iceblue

Top posting users this month

No user

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Like/Tweet/+1

Affiliates

visit Forumotion

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+

4 posters

Removing a cyclops from a crystal

SeikoJohn
    SeikoJohn
    Admin

Removing a cyclops from a crystal  Empty Removing a cyclops from a crystal

Post by SeikoJohn Fri Jan 26 2018, 21:12

I may need to remove a cyclops from a watch crystal at some point and I came across this video

Can I just check with everyone is this the best way to remove one ??

Cheers John
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Removing a cyclops from a crystal  Empty Re: Removing a cyclops from a crystal

Post by domecurb Fri Jan 26 2018, 21:47

nnnnooooooooooooooooooo!!! affraid

you need a soldering iron, let it heat up and hold the tip in the center of the cyclops for about a minute then quickly cut it off with a sharp blade, the residue glue will just polish off with mr sheen or similar
    using a flame puts too much heat through the crystal and it could crack or melt the crystal gasket
    SeikoJohn
    SeikoJohn
    Admin

Post by SeikoJohn Fri Jan 26 2018, 21:57

Thanks for the advice I shall be borrowing my Son's Soldering iron at some time in the not so distant future
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Fri Jan 26 2018, 21:58

SeikoJohn wrote:Thanks for the advice I shall be borrowing my Son's Soldering iron at some time in the not so distant future

you have to keep the heat localised to the cyclops as all you are trying to do is melt a tiny amount of glue
    SeikoJohn
    SeikoJohn
    Admin

Post by SeikoJohn Fri Jan 26 2018, 22:10

This is something I have wanted to try for a while now but have never had the nerve to try .... until now Very Happy
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Fri Jan 26 2018, 22:18

SeikoJohn wrote:This is something I have wanted to try for a while now but have never had the nerve to try .... until now Very Happy

its very easy as long as the heat stay with the cyclops which it will with a soldering iron....if it all goes wrong then.........

Removing a cyclops from a crystal  FJwv4yX
    daff62
    daff62

Post by daff62 Sat Jan 27 2018, 15:43

I do find cyclops helpful for telling the date with my poor eyesight.  Shocked  I hadn’t realised though that the cyclops was glued onto the glass.

I wonder if this is always the case and the same method is used by all brands like Rolex etc. 

Given they are not to everyone’s taste when buying a specific expensive watch new can you select whether to have a cyclops or non cyclops model? 

If not you would have to be quite brave to try and remove the cyclops on your shiny new Rolex. affraid
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Sat Jan 27 2018, 16:32

daff62 wrote:I do find cyclops helpful for telling the date with my poor eyesight.  Shocked  I hadn’t realised though that the cyclops was glued onto the glass.

I wonder if this is always the case and the same method is used by all brands like Rolex etc. 

Given they are not to everyone’s taste when buying a specific expensive watch new can you select whether to have a cyclops or non cyclops model? 

If not you would have to be quite brave to try and remove the cyclops on your shiny new Rolex. affraid

the Rolex ones are glued on as well, they use UV activated glue.they are easy to remove and even easier if the crystal is off the watch as they can be left to soak in nail varnish remover which will dissolve the glue, the Rolex ones are a bit of a step up from the norm being sapphire, but others are starting to do the same now
    its also easy to add a cyclops as they are readily available and only need a tiny amount of adhesive
    SeikoJohn
    SeikoJohn
    Admin

Post by SeikoJohn Sat Jan 27 2018, 17:12

I remember when I bought this Invicta from Domecurb ( Yes it was originally a normal Invicta ) that it had a cyclops on it and I asked him to remove it simply because I did not know how plus I did not have the courage

Removing a cyclops from a crystal  IMG_20170727_192222881
    daff62
    daff62

Post by daff62 Sat Jan 27 2018, 21:17

the Rolex ones are glued on as well, they use UV activated glue.they are easy to remove and even easier if the crystal is off the watch as they can be left to soak in nail varnish remover which will dissolve the glue, the Rolex ones are a bit of a step up from the norm being sapphire, but others are starting to do the same now
    its also easy to add a cyclops as they are readily available and only need a  tiny amount of adhesive

That’s very interesting and I would never have thought that it would be possible to glue a cyclops onto a glass either. Presumably that means you don’t necessarily de-value a watch by removing the cyclops though don’t think that would be something I would try myself. pale
    Robti
    Robti

Post by Robti Wed Jan 31 2018, 12:40

A very interesting read I too always thought that they were permanently cast/machine onto the glass and non removable
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Wed Jan 31 2018, 15:29

Robti wrote:A very interesting read I too always thought that they were permanently  cast/machine  onto the glass and non removable

the acrylic crystals are all in one and would need to be ground off Shocked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 18:20