THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM
PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO
Latest topics
Boschett HarpoonTue Dec 12 2017, 17:45SeikoJohn
Tuesday 12th December Tue Dec 12 2017, 16:18domecurb
New in todayTue Dec 12 2017, 13:58domecurb
Sunday 10 December 2017Sun Dec 10 2017, 20:41Iceblue
You cant beat a freebie Fri Dec 08 2017, 19:58Iceblue
Friday 8 December 2017.Fri Dec 08 2017, 12:05daff62
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Top posting users this month
20 Posts - 33%
15 Posts - 25%
11 Posts - 18%
8 Posts - 13%
7 Posts - 11%
December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Calendar

Like/Tweet/+1
Affiliates

visit Forumotion

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+


Share
View previous topicGo downView next topic
Daz
Posts : 156
Join date : 2017-04-18

Forum shutting

on Sat Aug 19 2017, 12:11
It is a great shame that the forum is shutting.
Crying or Very sad
avatar
Robti
Posts : 268
Join date : 2017-04-19
Age : 54
Location : Hamilton

Re: Forum shutting

on Sat Aug 19 2017, 14:19
Yes I got the email last night, very sorry to se this happening, although a newcomer I always made sure to check in everyday to look at all your different  watches and have a read up on the new posts, sad day


Last edited by Robti on Sat Aug 19 2017, 16:00; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Elwood
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 522
Join date : 2016-09-26
Location : South West England

Re: Forum shutting

on Sat Aug 19 2017, 14:53
Just to echo the other comments, it is a great shame and will be greatly missed. I just want take the opportunity to go on record to say thank you to all the contributions made by everyone which I enjoyed immensely during the last year. Also, a special, very large thank you to Bruce and John for the work the put into the forum, it's been enjoyed and appreciated.
Daz
Posts : 156
Join date : 2017-04-18

Re: Forum shutting

on Sat Aug 19 2017, 17:03
@domecurb is this a done deal? Final decision made etc
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Sat Aug 19 2017, 17:14
@Daz wrote:@domecurb is this a done deal? Final decision made etc

i dont really see the point any more, its demoralising when only 3 people are posting.
this was supposed to be a different forum where people could come and take part in the knowledge that there were no bullies or trolls and where no question was considered stupid, these things i hoped would attract members that would be nervous of joining a public forum where people might have more experience than themselves......
i think expectations of forums have now changed dramatically, it seems to be all about the next shiny toy rather than the heart and soul of a good watch.
anyway, i have pretty much made up my mind but if anyone can think of a way to save the forum and greatly increase numbers then speak up while you can

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1405
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 11:07
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I'm afraid I don't have any ideas in the short term how to attract a high number of new members.

It may be worthwhile though giving the Forum another chance even if it's for a fixed period like a month to see if the number of posts and traffic improves.

I don't know what other members would think about doing this & it would be helpful to get people's thoughts on the matter.

I just feel there is nothing to lose by at least giving the opportunity for improvement before finally closing the forum.
avatar
Elwood
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 522
Join date : 2016-09-26
Location : South West England

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 17:31
I agree with Daff62 personally, I think it's a great forum with some cracking content as well, it's just a little underused at present. I do have a couple of ideas here and there, nothing complex though I do think the name is a problem because it's extremely unlikely anyone will put 28000bpm into a search engine if they wanted to learn more about watches or join a watch forum. Additionally, even if you come across 28000bpm in the results listing on a search, because it is not immediately obvious that 28000bpm is linked to watches, it must further diminish the chance of someone then clicking the link to the site. I would be willing to put my money where my mouth is and contribute towards thecosts of the forum (as I don't know the costs involved with running a forum I can't be more committal than that). 

I'm a member of two other watch forums though have only really actively made posts on one of them. There are similarities between this and the two others, perhaps this forum if it continues offers some different ideas to what is already available. Bruce if you're interested in what ideas I have, let me know know
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 17:46
@Elwood wrote:I agree with Daff62 personally, I think it's a great forum with some cracking content as well, it's just a little underused at present. I do have a couple of ideas here and there, nothing complex though I do think the name is a problem because it's extremely unlikely anyone will put 28000bpm into a search engine if they wanted to learn more about watches or join a watch forum. Additionally, even if you come across 28000bpm in the results listing on a search, because it is not immediately obvious that 28000bpm is linked to watches, it must further diminish the chance of someone then clicking the link to the site. I would be willing to put my money where my mouth is and contribute towards thecosts of the forum (as I don't know the costs involved with running a forum I can't be more committal than that). 

I'm a member of two other watch forums though have only really actively made posts on one of them. There are similarities between this and the two others, perhaps this forum if it continues offers some different ideas to what is already available. Bruce if you're interested in what ideas I have, let me know know

@Elwood money is not an issue so no problem there, i hear what you say about the name, i was trying to be clever Wink so lets hear some suggestions for a new catchy name that can be changed to letters as a nickname
i was thinking " one stop watch talk " " OSWT" ??
any ideas ?
i am willing to give it a go

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1405
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 18:15
@domecurb wrote:
@Elwood wrote:I agree with Daff62 personally, I think it's a great forum with some cracking content as well, it's just a little underused at present. I do have a couple of ideas here and there, nothing complex though I do think the name is a problem because it's extremely unlikely anyone will put 28000bpm into a search engine if they wanted to learn more about watches or join a watch forum. Additionally, even if you come across 28000bpm in the results listing on a search, because it is not immediately obvious that 28000bpm is linked to watches, it must further diminish the chance of someone then clicking the link to the site. I would be willing to put my money where my mouth is and contribute towards thecosts of the forum (as I don't know the costs involved with running a forum I can't be more committal than that). 

I'm a member of two other watch forums though have only really actively made posts on one of them. There are similarities between this and the two others, perhaps this forum if it continues offers some different ideas to what is already available. Bruce if you're interested in what ideas I have, let me know know

@Elwood money is not an issue so no problem there, i hear what you say about the name, i was trying to be clever Wink  so lets hear some suggestions for a new catchy name that can be changed to letters as a nickname
i was thinking " one stop watch talk "  " OSWT"  ??
any ideas ?
i am willing to give it a go


A few ideas for names .........

All about time,
All about watches,
Talking time,
The Forum for watch talk,
Let's talk watches,
Passing time,
Watch world,
World of watches
The Time Forum

.............will keep thinking.
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 18:20
@daff62 wrote:
@domecurb wrote:
@Elwood wrote:I agree with Daff62 personally, I think it's a great forum with some cracking content as well, it's just a little underused at present. I do have a couple of ideas here and there, nothing complex though I do think the name is a problem because it's extremely unlikely anyone will put 28000bpm into a search engine if they wanted to learn more about watches or join a watch forum. Additionally, even if you come across 28000bpm in the results listing on a search, because it is not immediately obvious that 28000bpm is linked to watches, it must further diminish the chance of someone then clicking the link to the site. I would be willing to put my money where my mouth is and contribute towards thecosts of the forum (as I don't know the costs involved with running a forum I can't be more committal than that). 

I'm a member of two other watch forums though have only really actively made posts on one of them. There are similarities between this and the two others, perhaps this forum if it continues offers some different ideas to what is already available. Bruce if you're interested in what ideas I have, let me know know

@Elwood money is not an issue so no problem there, i hear what you say about the name, i was trying to be clever Wink  so lets hear some suggestions for a new catchy name that can be changed to letters as a nickname
i was thinking " one stop watch talk "  " OSWT"  ??
any ideas ?
i am willing to give it a go


A few ideas for names .........

All about time,
All about watches,
Talking time,
The Forum for watch talk,
Let's talk watches,
Passing time,
Watch world,
World of watches
The Time Forum

.............will keep thinking.

some good ones but do a search and make sure they are not already used, apologies Wink

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
Robti
Posts : 268
Join date : 2017-04-19
Age : 54
Location : Hamilton

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 18:39
Really glad to see this progressing in a positive vein, I hope that with the experienced members giving input and it helps Bruce decide to continue that the forum continues and goes from strength to strength in the future
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1405
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 18:41


A few ideas for names .........

All about time,
All about watches,
Talking time,
The Forum for watch talk,
Let's talk watches,
Passing time,
Watch world,
World of watches
The Time Forum

.............will keep thinking.[/quote]

some good ones but do a search and make sure they are not already used, apologies Wink [/quote]


Albeit not watch forums other businesses are using the same or similar names with "Passing Time" being one example.

I can't as yet see anything though for "The Time Forum" which I quite liked as a name. Very Happy
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2081
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 46
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 18:50
@daff62 wrote:


I can't as yet see anything though for "The Time Forum" which I quite liked as a name. Very Happy

The Time Forum is a good idea as it is plain simple and easy to remember TTF is also a good nickname

I appreciate that for members it is difficult to contribute to the forum everyday but if the forum does remain open then something needs to be done and more input is most definitely required from members.
Do not forget that although initially it is a watch forum there are other sections and sub sections where posts can be placed so not everything has to be watch related.

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 19:39
here is some incentive: if someone comes up with a good usable name and everyone agrees then they will win a good quality watch, get your thinking hats on !
i am thinking "THE WATCH DIAL" ........TWD

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2081
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 46
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 21:29
How about Time on my hands forum ?

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 21:32
@domecurb wrote:here is some incentive: if someone comes up with a good usable name and everyone agrees then they will win a good quality watch, get your thinking hats on !
i am thinking "THE WATCH DIAL" ........TWD

not being funny, but what about : "WATCH FORUM" just 2 words, nobody else is using it ?????

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2081
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 46
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 21:45
@domecurb wrote:

not being funny, but what about : "WATCH FORUM"  just 2 words, nobody else is using it ?????

I think it is too similar to another certain forum . JMHO

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 21:50
@SeikoJohn wrote:
@domecurb wrote:

not being funny, but what about : "WATCH FORUM"  just 2 words, nobody else is using it ?????

I think it is too similar to another certain forum . JMHO

well see i dont....they are "THE" watch forum...........we are just "Watch Forum" or "A" watch forum", besides it would read as " Watch Forum.forumotion.co.uk" so quite different, but search engines would find it very easily

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 21:52
or "watch chat forum"
or "watch talk forum"

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
Elwood
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 522
Join date : 2016-09-26
Location : South West England

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 21:55
I agree with John, nothing to stop you though Bruce. What about Watch and Time Forum, or WTF for short. Twisted Evil
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 21:59
@Elwood wrote:I agree with John, nothing to stop you though Bruce. What about Watch and Time Forum, or WTF for short. Twisted Evil

too long by one word so take the "and" out and you get "WATCH TIME FORUM"

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2081
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 46
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 22:01
@Elwood wrote:I agree with John, nothing to stop you though Bruce. What about Watch and Time Forum, or WTF for short. Twisted Evil

WTF ha ha ha that is brilliant

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Sun Aug 20 2017, 22:04
@SeikoJohn wrote:
@Elwood wrote:I agree with John, nothing to stop you though Bruce. What about Watch and Time Forum, or WTF for short. Twisted Evil

WTF ha ha ha that is brilliant

its funny but not bad either

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
Daz
Posts : 156
Join date : 2017-04-18

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 05:39
I agree glad to see this moving positively.

This may be to simple but how about watch and clock forum?
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 13:18
unfortunately WATCH TALK FORUM is already being used.
WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM or WATCH CLOCK FORUM are available...any others or opinion ?

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 13:23
WATCH TIME FORUM ??

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2081
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 46
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 13:26
The Horology Forum

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 13:28
@SeikoJohn wrote:The Horology Forum

nice, but.........realistically how many people know what horology means ? Shocked

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2081
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 46
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 13:35
@domecurb wrote:
@SeikoJohn wrote:The Horology Forum

nice, but.........realistically how many people know what horology means ? Shocked

True ..


_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2081
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 46
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 15:42
If the forum is to change its name and possibly stop open do any members have ideas how to promote the forum so that we gain new members ? All ideas are welcome no matter how big or small . Please add any ideas you have . Thanks

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1405
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 16:44
@SeikoJohn wrote:If the forum is to change its name and possibly stop open do any members have ideas how to promote the forum so that we gain new members ? All ideas are welcome no matter how big or small . Please add any ideas you have . Thanks


Possibly the new name would improve the chances of anyone doing a Google search to find the forum. If that is the case Daz's suggestion of Watch and Clock Forum has three key words which could raise our profile for anyone looking.

I had noticed recently that when visiting the forum as a visitor all the images in threads were blanked out with a message saying to see them you would have to register. When I looked again over the weekend that seems to have been removed & images are visible.

That could have worked both ways by either encouraging people to join or alternatively just putting them off.

I also noticed today that as a visitor in the Section "watches of the world" you only see three (Swiss, Japanese and Danish) countries whereas when logged in there are eleven countries. Possibly just a glitch or my iPad playing tricks.

I must confess when posting about a watch I am inclined to use the general watch talk rather than under a specific country thread. Sometimes you may not be sure where the movement was made.

It might be worth considering whether having 11 countries is ideal. If there were fewer, with examples of watch brands under the country heading, it may help with viewing etc whether as a member or visitor.

Just a few thoughts for now. Very Happy
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 16:57
@daff62 wrote:
@SeikoJohn wrote:If the forum is to change its name and possibly stop open do any members have ideas how to promote the forum so that we gain new members ? All ideas are welcome no matter how big or small . Please add any ideas you have . Thanks


Possibly the new name would improve the chances of anyone doing a Google search to find the forum. If that is the case  Daz's suggestion of Watch and Clock Forum has three key words which could raise our profile for anyone looking.

I had noticed recently that when visiting the forum as a visitor all the images in threads were blanked out with a message saying to see them you would have to register. When I looked again over the weekend that seems to have been removed & images are visible.

That could have worked both ways by either encouraging people to join or alternatively just putting them off.

I also noticed today that as a visitor in the Section "watches of the world" you only see three (Swiss, Japanese and Danish) countries whereas when logged in there are eleven countries. Possibly just a glitch or my iPad playing tricks.

I must confess when posting about a watch I am inclined to use the general watch talk rather than under a specific country thread. Sometimes you may not be sure where the movement was made.

It might be worth considering whether having 11 countries is ideal. If there were fewer, with examples of watch brands under the country heading, it may help with viewing etc whether as a member or visitor.

Just a few thoughts for now.  Very Happy

thanks David, i recently made more thing available to guests, but i dont see the point in making all available although we could try and open the whole forum up and see what happens, its all reversible so there would be no lasting damage
i envisaged the watches of the world section really as an area to post reviews about specific watches for different countries so just general posting in the general area is ok by me although repairs etc should be put in the specific section other wise it all becomes a mess
what i am still looking for is a good name
WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM
or THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM
neither are used

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 20:54
so here is some suggestions........
THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM.FORUMOTION.CO.UK

WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM.FORUMOTION.CO.UK

WATCHES AND CLOCKS FORUM.FORUMOTION.CO.UK

WATCHES AND CLOCKS.FORUMOTION.CO.UK

THE WATCH CHAT FORUM.FORUMOTION.CO.UK

WATCH CHAT FORUM.FORUMOTION.CO.UK

WATCH CHAT.FORUMOTION.CO.UK

at some point in the future the forumotion can be removed

can i get some feedback please chaps and any other ideas or names you can think of


_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
Iceblue
Admin
Posts : 900
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Bedfordshire

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 20:55
It's a sad email I read in my inbox today , I have been about but not posting I have been trying to watch what's going on and trying to see were the forum could benefit or not benefit from certain features etc , a name change could help for eg Watch and watches forum or forum for watches etc etc something that pops up easer on google searches , some of the features work and some don't , I think simplifying things to make it easy to navigate would help and targeting traffic from other forums and sites would help dramatically, most forums start with a very low user count and then slowly progress , like I said I havnt been posting a lot but I have learnt a lot sitting in the back ground , it's a friendly place and still can work but it just needs more members

avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2081
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 46
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 21:11
@Iceblue wrote: some of the features work and some don't , I think simplifying things to make it easy to navigate would help ..

it's a friendly place and still can work but it just needs more members


Andy can I ask which features you think do not work as we can either work on them to make them work or if not needed we can delete them Very Happy

I totally agree though that we require more members but as you know it is hard work thinking of ideas to promote the forum , Any ideas big or small will be appreciated

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
Iceblue
Admin
Posts : 900
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Bedfordshire

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 21:28
@SeikoJohn wrote:
@Iceblue wrote: some of the features work and some don't , I think simplifying things to make it easy to navigate would help ..

it's a friendly place and still can work but it just needs more members


Andy can I ask which features you think do not work as we can either work on them to make them work or if not needed we can delete them Very Happy

I totally agree though that we require more members but as you know it is hard work thinking of ideas to promote the forum , Any ideas big or small will be appreciated

I definitely think having the main thread are good but then having sub threads when you click on them can make it a bit confusing for new members, for eg having a watch new incoming , fence post etc seem to complicate and duplicate things , the watch your wearing today is popular but then if I have a new watch arrive do I put it in the new watch section or fence post studios or gallery or do I do a new right up on the watch or shall I put it in the today I am wearing thread it's to much in my opinion

Also I think the watches from around the world need one section and then when you click on it then you get the next page with all the flags on it just simplifies things for people to click and view if they want

The Kickstarter dosent seem to generate much interest so I would properly do away with that

I think the forum is running alittle to fast we need to walk and gain momentum slowly and defiantly simplify things
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 21:32
guys can we get some views on names, if there is no input i will just choose one Wink

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
Iceblue
Admin
Posts : 900
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Bedfordshire

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 21:37
@domecurb wrote:guys can we get some views on names, if there is no input i will just choose one Wink

Personally I would say

Watch watches and clocks forum

(WWC) for short
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2081
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 46
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 21:41
I like WATCH CHAT FORUM.FORUMOTION.CO.UK I think it best to keep the word Forum in the title

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 21:42
any more opinions ? need some votes guys

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2081
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 46
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 21:48
@Iceblue wrote:
I definitely think having the main thread are good but then having sub threads when you click on them can make it a bit confusing for new members, for eg having a watch new incoming , fence post etc seem to complicate and duplicate things , the watch your wearing today is popular but then if I have a new watch arrive do I put it in the new watch section or fence post studios or gallery or do I do a new right up on the watch or shall I put it in the today I am wearing thread it's to much in my opinion

Also I think the watches from around the world need one section and then when you click on it then you get the next page with all the flags on it just simplifies things for people to click and view if they want

The Kickstarter dosent seem to generate much interest so I would properly do away with that

I think the forum is running alittle to fast we need to walk and gain momentum slowly and defiantly simplify things

I see where you are coming from Andy but I think the ideas behind New Incoming and Fence Post Studio are mainly like a gallery where you can simply post a photo of a watch and you do not feel that you have to do a little write up about it .

I agree about having watches from around the world and then sub section with all the flags that is not visible on the home screen but I am not certain as to how much work is involved in creating this .

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
Robti
Posts : 268
Join date : 2017-04-19
Age : 54
Location : Hamilton

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 22:00
I think that the title should include the word “forum” as this is a forum and not a web site as such, and I like what Seikojohn has put up as it sounds more friendly having a chat about watches
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 22:04
are we going for WATCH CHAT FORUM ?

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1405
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 22:09
I agree with John that "watch chat forum" sounds good. it's quite informal and sounds friendly.

The Watch Clock Forum is also good specially if it was felt that it would maximise the possible "hits" the site would get.

I'm not sure about having both watch & watches in the title rather than just using one of the words. Does the title need to cover both single and plural nouns, possibly it's catchy though.
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 22:12
@daff62 wrote:I agree with John that "watch chat forum" sounds good. it's quite informal and sounds friendly.

The Watch Clock Forum is also good specially if it was felt that it would maximise the possible "hits" the site would get.

I'm not sure about having both watch & watches in the title rather than just using one of the words. Does the title need to cover both single and plural nouns, possibly it's catchy though.

too me "The Watch Clock Forum" sounds like a place to watch clocks plus its one word too long IMO

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
Iceblue
Admin
Posts : 900
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Bedfordshire

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 22:15
@daff62 wrote:I agree with John that "watch chat forum" sounds good. it's quite informal and sounds friendly.

The Watch Clock Forum is also good specially if it was felt that it would maximise the possible "hits" the site would get.

I'm not sure about having both watch & watches in the title rather than just using one of the words. Does the title need to cover both single and plural nouns, possibly it's catchy though.

It's only a idea that if you googled watch forum or watches forum either would pop up on the search
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 22:18
@Iceblue wrote:
@daff62 wrote:I agree with John that "watch chat forum" sounds good. it's quite informal and sounds friendly.

The Watch Clock Forum is also good specially if it was felt that it would maximise the possible "hits" the site would get.

I'm not sure about having both watch & watches in the title rather than just using one of the words. Does the title need to cover both single and plural nouns, possibly it's catchy though.

It's only a idea that if you googled watch forum or watches forum either would pop up on the search

i have googled just about every name i can think of....watch forum and watches forum are a bit close to "the watch forum" which we all know is used already

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1405
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 22:43
@domecurb wrote:
@daff62 wrote:I agree with John that "watch chat forum" sounds good. it's quite informal and sounds friendly.

The Watch Clock Forum is also good specially if it was felt that it would maximise the possible "hits" the site would get.

I'm not sure about having both watch & watches in the title rather than just using one of the words. Does the title need to cover both single and plural nouns, possibly it's catchy though.

too me "The Watch Clock Forum"  sounds like a place to watch clocks plus its one word too long IMO


I misquoted Daz's idea which was watch and clock forum. No doubt it could be preceded with "The" if needed. It's main advantage, I presume, is having three key words that people may find if googling for forums etc.

Apart from that The Watch Chat Forum is also pretty good if it can be used.
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2701
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 22:54
ok.so shall we go for "WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM" ?

_________________
"treat others how you would like to be treated yourself and you wont go far wrong" - Me Wink

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2081
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 46
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: Forum shutting

on Mon Aug 21 2017, 22:59
@domecurb wrote:ok.so shall we go for "WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM" ?

It gets a thumbs up from me but I would like to ask that nothing is done until majority of active members agree especially Ellwood as it was his initial idea to rethink the forum name .

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
Sponsored content

Re: Forum shutting

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum