THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM
PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO
Latest topics
New tool arrived Yesterday at 03:31Daz
Zetime smart watch Fri Sep 22 2017, 22:00Elwood
Random ShizzleFri Sep 22 2017, 21:15SeikoJohn
Friday 22nd September 2017.Fri Sep 22 2017, 20:53Elwood
Watch accuracy apps Fri Sep 22 2017, 11:05domecurb
Thursday 21 September 2017.Thu Sep 21 2017, 19:49Elwood
FENCE POST STUDIOThu Sep 21 2017, 14:17domecurb
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Top posting users this month
189 Posts - 27%
171 Posts - 24%
106 Posts - 15%
81 Posts - 11%
61 Posts - 9%
56 Posts - 8%
39 Posts - 6%
1 Post - 0%
1 Post - 0%
September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar

Like/Tweet/+1
Affiliates

visit Forumotion

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Elwood

Has anyone received anything from kickstarter?

on Fri Jul 14 2017, 21:29
So far I've paid for a watch band that allows me listen to calls through my finger. I paid for it about a year ago. So far, I've had an update once a month though no kickstarter survey or product, it's meant to be ready next month though I don't think it will be personally.

I've bought a smartwatch maybe 5 or 6 months ago. Ok, yep you guessed it, paid for it but don't have it. The Zetime team are really good at communication and I've had a survey to fill in specifying the spec I want and it's meant to arrive next month I think.

I also bought a leather wrist band which is also a charging cable. Admittedly I backed this project after a bit too much to drink and didn't really remember it. I've had the survey to complete saying what spec I want and again, it's due next month. It was only about £7 so less bothered about this one.

I'm patient, which you have to be with kickstarter projects. Has anyone else had much experience with kickstarter projects?
SeikoJohn
Admin

Re: Has anyone received anything from kickstarter?

on Fri Jul 14 2017, 22:18
No experience with kickstarter projects myself . Do they give an expected completion date when you sign up ?

I am curious to see how a leather strap can also become a charging cable .... very curious

on Sun Jul 16 2017, 11:19
Kickstarter projects come with an estimated delivery month. There's nothing to stop them changing the date and delaying things though. So far, two of the projects I've backed are due to be delivered on time, one is about 6 months late.
If you want to see the charging bracelet, here's a link;
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/niftyx/a-wearable-charging-cable-bracelet-that-disrupting

I don't think it's anything special personally, not even sure why I baked the project. I saw a stall for Cobra cords yesterday, they look interesting, they're 3m long charging cables which are built with a spec designed to be a bit more indestructible
domecurb
Admin
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

on Sun Jul 16 2017, 14:47
Elwood wrote:Kickstarter projects come with an estimated delivery month. There's nothing to stop them changing the date and delaying things though. So far, two of the projects I've backed are due to be delivered on time, one is about 6 months late.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/niftyx/a-wearable-charging-cable-bracelet-that-disrupting

I don't think it's anything special personally, not even sure why I baked the project.  I saw a stall for Cobra cords yesterday, they look interesting, they're 3m long charging cables which are built with a spec designed to be a bit more indestructible

each to their own and i respect other peoples views and choices, but ......oh man ! whats the point ? whats next? a mobile phone hat? WIFI knickers? Bluetooth toilet paper?
i look at kickstarter regularly and i have yet to see something that i would back and its not about the risks etc, i genuinely never see anything i cant do without, most seem to be finding a solution to a problem that doesnt exist or at least didnt until the "cure" was found Wink
i think the problem is these days is everyone wants a quick fortune and kickstarter seems to be the way to go for riches via minimal effort....trouble is most fail miserably .......i have yet to see a smart watch that hasnt faded away to obscurity well within a year, sure the hipsters will keep wearing it all as they see it as cool and with it, but [ fortunately ] they are a minority lol!
all in my honest humble opinion obviously Very Happy

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
Elwood

on Sun Jul 16 2017, 20:24
domecurb wrote:
Elwood wrote:Kickstarter projects come with an estimated delivery month. There's nothing to stop them changing the date and delaying things though. So far, two of the projects I've backed are due to be delivered on time, one is about 6 months late.

I don't think it's anything special personally, not even sure why I baked the project.  I saw a stall for Cobra cords yesterday, they look interesting, they're 3m long charging cables which are built with a spec designed to be a bit more indestructible

each to their own and i respect other peoples views and choices, but ......oh man ! whats the point ? whats next? a mobile phone hat? WIFI knickers? Bluetooth toilet paper?
i look at kickstarter regularly and i have yet to see something that i would back and its not about the risks etc, i genuinely never see anything i cant do without, most seem to be finding a solution to a problem that doesnt exist or at least didnt until the "cure" was found Wink
i think the problem is these days is everyone wants a quick fortune and kickstarter seems to be the way to go for riches via minimal effort....trouble is most fail miserably .......i have yet to see a smart watch that hasnt faded away to obscurity well within a year, sure the hipsters will keep wearing it all as they see it as cool and with it, but [ fortunately ] they are a minority lol!

In answer to, what's the point? Well there's a part of me, which can be found in many of us which is fascinated by useless gadgets, objet d'art and little wonders of technology. Men in particular are suckers for becoming obessessed with things, which is why I would guess we're all on a forum forum watch addicts! To me it's not that different. I've backed things which are also loosely connected with watches and mobile technology. Most people like to be slightly unique and individual, I suppose backIng a kickstarter project appeals in that's sense because you are essentially committing to buy something which in theory won't be widely available. As I've not received anything from them, it's pretty hard for me to say whether or not it's a complete waste of money yet! I don't object to someone holding a sceptical view of kickstarter projects, I've no personal investment to feel emotive about, you could be right and I hope to find out soon bounce
domecurb
Admin

on Sun Jul 16 2017, 20:51
Elwood wrote:
domecurb wrote:

In answer to, what's the point? Well there's a part of me, which can be found in many of us which is fascinated by useless gadgets, objet d'art and little wonders of technology. Men in particular are suckers for becoming obessessed with things, which is why I would guess we're all on a forum forum watch addicts! To me it's not that different. I've backed things which are also loosely connected with watches and mobile technology. Most people like to be slightly unique and individual, I suppose backIng a kickstarter project appeals in that's sense because you are essentially committing to buy something which in theory won't be widely available. As I've not received anything from them, it's pretty hard for me to say whether or not it's a complete waste of money yet! I don't object to someone holding a sceptical view of kickstarter projects, I've no personal investment to feel emotive about, you could be right and I hope to find out soon bounce

dont get me wrong i adore technology..always have and always will, its the kickstarter approach i dont like, they all seem to use the same script.......the next best thing etc etc bla bla bla........thorough research etc etc bla bla.
before kickstarter things were usualy born from necessity or need...someone would have an idea and because they would have to invest their own time and their own money there was less of a chance of a dud.........i guess more effort and thought was put in.
the ones that annoy me the most are the ones that say they are using premium materials, movements, components etc when actually they are just using cheap off the shelf bits with generic designs..in other words nothing special......i get the good points of kickstarter, but i think the bad grossly out weighs the good ......very happy to be proven wrong though Very Happy

Elwood

on Sun Jul 16 2017, 21:24
domecurb wrote:
Elwood wrote:
domecurb wrote:

dont get me wrong i adore technology..always have and always will, its the kickstarter approach i dont like, they all seem to use the same script.......the next best thing etc etc bla bla bla........thorough research etc etc bla bla.
before kickstarter things were usualy born from necessity or need...someone would have an idea and because they would have to invest their own time and their own money there was less of a chance of a dud.........i guess more effort and thought was put in.
the ones that annoy me the most are the ones that say they are using premium materials, movements, components etc when actually they are just using cheap off the shelf bits with generic designs..in other words nothing special......i get the good points of kickstarter, but i think the bad grossly out weighs the good ......very happy to be proven wrong though Very Happy

To be fair, I think the BS on watch projects is pretty bad. The project creators on kickstarter don't have the risk in the same way they would if they were funding projects with their own cash. My favourite project was the looblade https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/garrystewart/looblade-a-toilet-cleaning-revolution

I'll wait til Wilkos are selling them for £3
domecurb
Admin

on Sun Jul 16 2017, 21:42
To be fair, I think the BS on watch projects is pretty bad. The project creators on kickstarter don't have the risk in the same way they would if they were funding projects with their own cash. My favourite project was the looblade https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/garrystewart/looblade-a-toilet-cleaning-revolution

I'll wait til Wilkos are selling them for £3

lol! excellent Very Happy

Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum