THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM
PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO
Latest topics
Better than a watch Sun Oct 22 2017, 14:56Iceblue
Sunday 22 October 2017.Sun Oct 22 2017, 12:13Robti
Saturday 21 October 2017.Sat Oct 21 2017, 13:43Elwood
Friday 20th October Fri Oct 20 2017, 21:15Iceblue
Thursday 19 October 2017.Thu Oct 19 2017, 18:30Robti
Which Insert would you pick Wed Oct 18 2017, 19:40Daz
Ultra rare Seiko on eBay Wed Oct 18 2017, 16:36daff62
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Top posting users this month
88 Posts - 27%
78 Posts - 24%
42 Posts - 13%
38 Posts - 12%
31 Posts - 10%
24 Posts - 7%
22 Posts - 7%
1 Post - 0%
October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Calendar

Like/Tweet/+1
Affiliates

visit Forumotion

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+


Share
View previous topicGo downView next topic
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2014
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

New project bought

on Wed Jan 18 2017, 16:53
After the buzz and rush I got from changing the dial and hands over on my Invicta at the weekend I have decided I now need another project so with some help/advice from Domecurb I have bought myself a Citizen watch from Ebay to give a little refurbishment to ..



here is what I bought with the idea of replacing the crystal with a new one (something i have never done before ) and then clean and polish up the dial and bracelet .

A few more tools bought and I should be in business when everything arrives Very Happy Very Happy



avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2672
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: New project bought

on Wed Jan 18 2017, 18:15
stage one of the virus Shocked
there is no cure Crying or Very sad
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2014
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: New project bought

on Wed Jan 18 2017, 18:17
I thought stage one was joining a watch forum Shocked

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2672
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: New project bought

on Wed Jan 18 2017, 18:25
SeikoJohn wrote:I thought stage one was joining a watch forum Shocked  

i hate to tell you, but this isnt a watch forum, its an online psychiatric hospital in disguise:shock:
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1352
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: New project bought

on Wed Jan 18 2017, 18:40
Great stuff John.

in the short term it will boost confidence and gain experience and in the longer term the tools will all help with future projects. Will look forward to seeing how you get on. Very Happy

avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1352
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: New project bought

on Wed Jan 18 2017, 18:43
domecurb wrote:
SeikoJohn wrote:I thought stage one was joining a watch forum Shocked  

i hate to tell you, but this isnt a watch forum, its an online psychiatric hospital in disguise:shock:  

I have thought that at times. lol!
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2014
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: New project bought

on Wed Jan 18 2017, 18:59
daff62 wrote:Great stuff John.  

in the short term it will boost confidence and gain experience and in the longer term the tools will all help with future projects. Will look forward to seeing how you get on.  Very Happy


I must admit I am really looking forward to doing this little project and hopefully all will work out well Very Happy
avatar
Elwood
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 485
Join date : 2016-09-26
Location : South West England

Re: New project bought

on Thu Jan 19 2017, 06:20
SeikoJohn wrote:
daff62 wrote:Great stuff John.  

in the short term it will boost confidence and gain experience and in the longer term the tools will all help with future projects. Will look forward to seeing how you get on.  Very Happy


I must admit I am really looking forward to doing this little project and hopefully all will work out well Very Happy

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you get on. I love tinkering with things and would love to do so with watches but have never really had the confidence. Watching you share your learning curve could be quite an inspiration hopefully. Good luck with the project.
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2014
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: New project bought

on Thu Jan 19 2017, 18:19
quick update I received notifications today from Ebay

Digital Calipers - Dispatched

Case Press - Dispatched

Citizen Watch - Dispatched

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2672
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: New project bought

on Thu Jan 19 2017, 18:22
SeikoJohn wrote:quick update I received notifications today from Ebay

Digital Calipers - Dispatched

Case Press - Dispatched

Citizen Watch - Dispatched  

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy  
cheers
avatar
Elwood
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 485
Join date : 2016-09-26
Location : South West England

Re: New project bought

on Thu Jan 19 2017, 19:05
Is it rude to ask what the approximate cost of the tools comes to? Also, I'm guessing you've chosen Citizen for a reason, just wondering what the reason is.
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2014
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: New project bought

on Thu Jan 19 2017, 19:23
Elwood wrote:Is it rude to ask what the approximate cost of the tools comes to? Also,  I'm guessing you've chosen Citizen for a reason,  just wondering what the reason is.

The watch I chose because I like the seiko / citizen brand but the main reason is because all in it came to less that £8 from Ebay . Another reason for this type of watch is because it is quartz and I am going through a quartz phase recently Very Happy Very Happy

Watch case press £9.91 useful for crystal changes plus case backs after a battery change

Digital Caliper £6.89 bought to measure exact size of crystal plus its a gadget Very Happy Very Happy

Watch precise screwdriver set £5 from Ebay although I may invest in better ones in the future

all that I can think let that I will need is an old toothbrush and soap and water to clean the casing and bracelet and some polishing paste to shine it up / remove any light scratches so will use either T cut or Peak Paste both of which I have .
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1352
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: New project bought

on Thu Jan 19 2017, 19:59
SeikoJohn wrote:quick update I received notifications today from Ebay

Digital Calipers - Dispatched

Case Press - Dispatched

Citizen Watch - Dispatched  

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy  

One step closer to getting underway with your project. cheers

Looking forward to the next updates. Very Happy

avatar
Elwood
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 485
Join date : 2016-09-26
Location : South West England

Re: New project bought

on Thu Jan 19 2017, 21:04
SeikoJohn wrote:
Elwood wrote:Is it rude to ask what the approximate cost of the tools comes to? Also,  I'm guessing you've chosen Citizen for a reason,  just wondering what the reason is.

The watch I chose because I like the seiko / citizen brand but the main reason is because all in it came to less that £8 from Ebay . Another reason for this type of watch is because it is quartz and I am going through a quartz phase recently Very Happy Very Happy

Watch case press £9.91 useful for crystal changes plus case backs after a battery change

Digital Caliper £6.89 bought to measure exact size of crystal plus its a gadget Very Happy Very Happy

Watch precise screwdriver set £5 from Ebay although I may invest in better ones in the future

all that I can think let that I will need is an old toothbrush and soap and water to clean the casing and bracelet and some polishing paste to shine it up / remove any light scratches so will use either T cut or Peak Paste both of which I have .

Cheers for answering my queries. We've got two kids and my wife is a stay at home mum so finances in our house have to be well managed, getting my head round the costs of the kit gives me an idea as to whether doing similar to you is viable. Your answers made me laugh though, I was expecting a great technical reason on why you bought a Citizen
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2014
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: New project bought

on Thu Jan 19 2017, 21:33
We have two dogs 5 stepkids 2 of which still live at home (16 yr old and 32 yr old the eldest is an auto electrician) and 7 grandkids yup 7 Very Happy

I dont work due to medical reasons so like yourself money goes on more important things. I find that simply buying parts and tools bit by bit over time can build up quite quickly and it is very very rare I go into debt for a watch.

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2672
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: New project bought

on Thu Jan 19 2017, 21:48
SeikoJohn wrote:We have two dogs 5 stepkids 2 of which still live at home (16 yr old and 32 yr old the eldest is an auto electrician) and 7 grandkids yup 7 Very Happy

I dont work due to medical reasons so like yourself money goes on more important things. I find that simply buying parts and tools bit by bit over time can build up quite quickly and it is very very rare I go into debt for a watch.

you could sell the grand kids...no debt involved when you buy something special..............you can thank me later Wink
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1352
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: New project bought

on Thu Jan 19 2017, 21:59

I dont work due to medical reasons so like yourself money goes on more important things. I find that simply buying parts and tools bit by bit over time can build up quite quickly and it is very very rare I go into debt for a watch. [/quote]

Also in a similar position and agree that it's better to do things in stages as and when possible & simply enjoy each stage. Very Happy
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2014
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: New project bought

on Thu Jan 19 2017, 22:02
Mentioned selling grandkids to Ruth her reply was " whoever bought them would bring them back ,, sell one of your legs you have plenty of them "
Guess she has a point lol!

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2672
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: New project bought

on Thu Jan 19 2017, 22:04
SeikoJohn wrote:Mentioned selling grandkids to Ruth her reply was " whoever bought them would bring them back ,, sell one of your legs you have plenty of them "
Guess she has a point lol!

no refund policy ? Very Happy
avatar
Elwood
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 485
Join date : 2016-09-26
Location : South West England

Re: New project bought

on Fri Jan 20 2017, 22:26
SeikoJohn wrote:We have two dogs 5 stepkids 2 of which still live at home (16 yr old and 32 yr old the eldest is an auto electrician) and 7 grandkids yup 7 Very Happy

I dont work due to medical reasons so like yourself money goes on more important things. I find that simply buying parts and tools bit by bit over time can build up quite quickly and it is very very rare I go into debt for a watch.

Given your list of children and grandkids, I probably have it easy (though having it easy isn't a phrase I normally think of!). It sounds d very similar in that I wouldnt get in debt for a watch, and going by your costings, modding and repairing watches would be a brilliant option for me though at a later date. I only say at a later date because I struggle to find the time for much as my kids are quite young (2 and 6)though later down the line it should get a bit easier. Your posts have a great interest to me as I can see myself eventually taking a similar route with my watch interests so it's handy to see how you learn things and how much it's costing
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2014
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: New project bought

on Sat Jan 21 2017, 10:03
Yea Mr Postman brought me prezzies cheers





Once the case press arrives I can crack on with this Very Happy

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1352
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: New project bought

on Sat Jan 21 2017, 10:21
Love it when things arrive in the post. Very Happy

That's a really nice watch and like the "WR 100" next to the crown. You are one step closer to getting your project underway John.
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2672
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: New project bought

on Sat Jan 21 2017, 12:07
excellent ! looks like it fits you too.always a bonus
avatar
Iceblue
Admin
Posts : 865
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Bedfordshire

Re: New project bought

on Sat Jan 21 2017, 12:39
Looking forward too seeing the restoration buddy
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2014
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: New project bought

on Sat Jan 21 2017, 13:26
domecurb wrote:excellent !   looks like it fits you too.always a bonus

It didnt at first and I was devastated Shocked but then realised that the spring bars were right into the clasp so moved them to the end holes and fits a treat
avatar
Elwood
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 485
Join date : 2016-09-26
Location : South West England

Re: New project bought

on Sat Jan 21 2017, 13:57
SeikoJohn wrote:
domecurb wrote:excellent !   looks like it fits you too.always a bonus

It didnt at first and I was devastated Shocked but then realised that the spring bars were right into the clasp so moved them to the end holes and fits a treat

Agree with the other comments, it's a nice looking watch already so looking forward to seeing how you improve it. I'm a bit of a sucker for a black dial.
Sponsored content

Re: New project bought

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum