THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM
PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO
Latest topics
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Top posting users this month
81 Posts - 28%
73 Posts - 25%
38 Posts - 13%
34 Posts - 12%
23 Posts - 8%
22 Posts - 8%
18 Posts - 6%
1 Post - 0%
October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Calendar

Like/Tweet/+1
Affiliates

visit Forumotion

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+


Share
View previous topicGo downView next topic
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2007
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 15:42
After seeing this watch on another forum that had been made to look older than it actually was it



it got me thinking how is it done ? do you use tea or coffee ? hot or cold and for how long or is there another method that is better ? I was only asking as I have this dial and some spare hands I would maybe possibly like to try it on

avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2667
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 16:42
use tea and a very fine brush, the good thing with tea is it will wipe off the dial, it can be made darker by adding more between drying, will work on the hands and shouldnt affect the lume. for speed use a hair dryer to dry the dial Very Happy
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2007
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 16:57
cheers for the info .. would I just "paint" it over the white parts of the dial or paint it over all of it ?

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2667
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 17:29
just pany the indices/ lume, if the indices are like the 007 you show then the tea wont stick to the outline anyway, but will soak into the lume quite readily..........
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1346
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 17:46
I had a look online and was amazed at the number of methods that are used / suggested.

Tea / coffee I can understand but using bleach or baking the dial were a surprise. Shocked

I presume aging a dial can be to make it look 20 / 30 years old or an age that is appropriate to the watch it is for,  or just simply to stop it from looking brand new.
As I like older watches I am more used to dials being restored rather than aged. Rolling Eyes

Good luck with it and I will look forward to hearing / seeing how you get on. Very Happy
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2667
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 17:59
daff62 wrote:I had a look online and was amazed at the number of methods that are used / suggested.

Tea / coffee I can understand but using bleach or baking the dial were a surprise. Shocked

I presume aging a dial can be to make it look 20 / 30 years old or an age that is appropriate to the watch it is for,  or just simply to stop it from looking brand new.
As I like older watches I am more used to dials being restored rather than aged. Rolling Eyes

Good luck with it and I will look forward to hearing / seeing how you get on. Very Happy

trouble with the bleach and baking methods is they destabilize the dial finnish and it can then flake a get into the movement
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1346
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 18:12
trouble with the bleach and baking methods is they destabilize the dial finnish and it can then flake a get into the movement[/quote]

They do sound rather risky and not reversible if things went wrong. I did wonder if it depended on the material the dial was made from as well as what was used for the surface of the dial and the applied markers / design.

I think though your advice sounds the safest and the most sensible. Very Happy
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2007
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 18:22
daff62 wrote:Good luck with it and I will look forward to hearing / seeing how you get on. Very Happy

I just need to buy a watch to put the dial into first lol! lol!
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1346
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 19:27
SeikoJohn wrote:
daff62 wrote:Good luck with it and I will look forward to hearing / seeing how you get on. Very Happy

I just need to buy a watch to put the dial into first lol! lol!

I kind of assumed you had that side of things organised. lol! That said once the dial is done it may be easier to pick the watch that it will suit. Good thinking John.
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2667
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 22:43
SeikoJohn wrote:
daff62 wrote:Good luck with it and I will look forward to hearing / seeing how you get on. Very Happy

I just need to buy a watch to put the dial into first lol! lol!

and hands and a bracelet and a movement................. silent
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2007
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 22:55
domecurb wrote:and hands and a bracelet and a movement................. silent

I have hands lol!

avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2667
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 23:02
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2007
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 23:16
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2667
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 23:20
SeikoJohn wrote:

i suddenly have a headache scratch
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2007
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 23:24
Ya can not beat Leeroy Jethro Gibbs the bloke is awesome especially his rules

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1346
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 23:26
domecurb wrote:
SeikoJohn wrote:

i suddenly have a headache scratch

You're not alone, I just listened to your YouTube link. affraid lol!
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2667
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Tue Jan 03 2017, 23:45
daff62 wrote:
domecurb wrote:
SeikoJohn wrote:

i suddenly have a headache scratch

You're not alone, I just listened to your YouTube link. affraid  lol!

try this for size then  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1346
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Wed Jan 04 2017, 09:03
Lovely, the perfect start to my day. Mad The pink toothbrush though could be used for the dial so not all bad. lol!
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2667
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Wed Jan 04 2017, 10:06
daff62 wrote:Lovely, the perfect start to my day. Mad The pink toothbrush though could be used for the dial so not all bad. lol!

sorry its going too far isnt it ? Sad
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1346
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Wed Jan 04 2017, 13:14
domecurb wrote:
daff62 wrote:Lovely, the perfect start to my day. Mad The pink toothbrush though could be used for the dial so not all bad. lol!

sorry its going too far isnt it ? Sad

Your fine, there's worse musical choices you could have made.
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2007
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Wed Jan 04 2017, 13:34
daff62 wrote:

Your fine, there's worse musical choices you could have made.

Oh what did you say that for ?? You know he will only try to find worse now affraid
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2667
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Wed Jan 04 2017, 14:17
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1346
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Wed Jan 04 2017, 14:53
SeikoJohn wrote:
daff62 wrote:

Your fine, there's worse musical choices you could have made.

Oh what did you say that for ?? You know he will only try to find worse now affraid

..................and he did, sorry about that. Embarassed
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2667
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

on Wed Jan 04 2017, 14:54
daff62 wrote:
SeikoJohn wrote:
daff62 wrote:

Your fine, there's worse musical choices you could have made.

Oh what did you say that for ?? You know he will only try to find worse now affraid

..................and he did, sorry about that. Embarassed

lol!
Sponsored content

Re: how to age a watch dial and hands

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum