THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM

PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The meeting place for watch and clock enthusiasts also @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/Thewatchandclockforum/

Latest topics

» Anyone Around!
what are you favourite watches and why EmptySun Dec 27 2020, 15:54 by Robti

» sub £50 screwdriver set
what are you favourite watches and why EmptySun Jun 21 2020, 12:11 by Robti

» Anyone bought anything during lockdown
what are you favourite watches and why EmptyThu May 14 2020, 07:27 by Iceblue

» How is everybody
what are you favourite watches and why EmptyWed Apr 01 2020, 15:35 by Robti

» 2020 future watch collection
what are you favourite watches and why EmptyWed Jan 01 2020, 09:21 by Iceblue

» 31st December 2019
what are you favourite watches and why EmptyTue Dec 31 2019, 20:41 by Iceblue

» Happy new year too you all
what are you favourite watches and why EmptyTue Dec 31 2019, 20:29 by Iceblue

» Merry Christmas
what are you favourite watches and why EmptyWed Dec 25 2019, 21:47 by Robti

» 13th November 2019
what are you favourite watches and why EmptyWed Nov 13 2019, 17:54 by Iceblue

Top posting users this month

No user

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Like/Tweet/+1

Affiliates

visit Forumotion

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+

5 posters

what are you favourite watches and why

domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

what are you favourite watches and why Empty what are you favourite watches and why

Post by domecurb Sat Nov 26 2016, 13:05

so...whats your favourite watches and why?

I have a LOT of watches , but really only 3 stand out for me even though i rarely wear them
    the first is a Blue faced Orient Mako that my wife bought me for my 50th ahem...i mean...21st birthday Razz
    stock photo as mine is buried somewhere Crying or Very sad
    what are you favourite watches and why S-l1000
    i love it because it was a gift and it is a good looking watch, however i dont wear it as the date dosent line up in its window Mad  and it would drive me bonkers Laughing  i have all the bits to sort it though Wink

the others that are non identicle twins:
    Citizen crystron 8600 mid 70's
    what are you favourite watches and why IMG_20161126_1238461
    not the best photo, but was the only way i could get the one on the left to show the faceted crystal and fancy dial
    i searched for one for about 15 years without success, the odd ones i came accross went for silly money, i even bid on a non runner from Australia, my reasoning being; even if i couldnt repair it at least i would actaully have one Laughing ..........it went for over £100 Shocked
    but they are a bit like buses.........2 came along within 6 months of each and both work perfectly.
    for me these are the pinnacle of quartz watch battle of the 70's, IMO nothing can touch them for quality or their technology at the time [ i dont include the tuning fork movements in this as they are not quartz].....even Swiss makers were surreptitiously using Japanese/Citizen designs, parts and movements Shocked [ and still do Wink ]
    i did a little review here:  https://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk/t104-citizen-crystron-8600

so there you go, if all my other watches   [ the hoard ] disappeared i would be happy to live with just these 3..........well sort of Razz
    so what you got and why ?
    SeikoJohn
    SeikoJohn
    Admin

what are you favourite watches and why Empty Re: what are you favourite watches and why

Post by SeikoJohn Sat Nov 26 2016, 13:40

Firstly I have this my Seiko 6309-7290 it is the first watch I bought a couple of year ago that got me into the hobby that is watch collecting . It is the style and the look that appeals to me

what are you favourite watches and why C000D231-F8F5-4D55-9F73-836BE42F04C1_zpsjilq7wzv

next is my Seiko 7548 this watch just oozes sex appeal to me no hassle of setting the date like an auto just pick it up and wear it . I really like the vintage style to it .

what are you favourite watches and why 55E9C811-4E1E-4FC3-AA5A-A5A56851D0E1_zpsafsd1uo3

finally my first 007 I bought this early this year and sent it to Bruce he replaced the dial for a better one changed the hands and fitted a sapphire crystal . This is my dressy diver that I wear on special occasions

what are you favourite watches and why IMG_2972_zpsbuz21uno

what are you favourite watches and why Empty Re: what are you favourite watches and why

Post by Guest Sat Nov 26 2016, 14:52

My favourites are definitely the 'diver' style. I don't know why....I just like the look of them. And I prefer autos to quartz, though having said that, my latest aquisition, the Citizen Orca is a quartz, but I'll forgive it because it looks so nice! Very Happy
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Sat Nov 26 2016, 17:33

Roger the Dodger wrote:My favourites are definitely the 'diver' style. I don't know why....I just like the look of them. And I prefer autos to quartz, though having said that, my latest aquisition, the Citizen Orca is a quartz, but I'll forgive it because it looks so nice! Very Happy

Humph ! no pics? didnt happen lol!
    daff62
    daff62

Post by daff62 Sat Nov 26 2016, 19:46

A difficult choice for me as I think of most of my watches as favourites.  Very Happy

This is one of the first pocket watches I bought dating to 1815....

what are you favourite watches and why <a href=what are you favourite watches and why Image_432" />

apart from the workmanship of the movement it was also special to me being an Edinburgh (my home city) maker.

I've worn this 14ct white gold Benrus regularly over the years. I love the engraving on the case along with the style of the dial and hands.

what are you favourite watches and why <a href=what are you favourite watches and why Image_429" />

This 2nd World War military Omega stands out as it started me collecting wrist watches. It was also my one and only "deal" getting it as a trade for a pocket watch.

what are you favourite watches and why <a href=what are you favourite watches and why Image_430" />

Lastly would be this Seiko Skyliner. I bought this one many years ago as I loved the design & haven't come across another one since.

what are you favourite watches and why <a href=what are you favourite watches and why Image_431" />
    Pip
    Pip

Post by Pip Sat Nov 26 2016, 21:19

domecurb wrote:
    Roger the Dodger wrote:My favourites are definitely the 'diver' style. I don't know why....I just like the look of them. And I prefer autos to quartz, though having said that, my latest aquisition, the Citizen Orca is a quartz, but I'll forgive it because it looks so nice! Very Happy

Humph ! no pics? didnt happen  lol!

Trust me, you'll be seeing pics of Roger's Orca! But you won't mind, it's really nice Wink
    Pip
    Pip

Post by Pip Sat Nov 26 2016, 21:30

Favourite? Depends what day of the week it is and what mood I'm in. I've got the 'nothing special' Seiko Quartz that's special to me as my Mum bought it for me on my 18th. I've got the first Seiko 5 I pulled apart and got working.
    I've got a Sarb017 Alpinist which I adore.
    what are you favourite watches and why 30626634621_f2bc274912_z_d

I've got a Bellmatic which is a month/year for my wife's birthday.
    what are you favourite watches and why 30702111736_f0fe93f155_z_d

And I've got a Helmet that basically doesn't work. (That's your mind that is, I didn't say anything rude at all!)
    what are you favourite watches and why 29415813891_c61045cf51_z_d

And plenty more, all of which are my favourite at one time or another!
    Pip

Post by Guest Sat Nov 26 2016, 23:57

domecurb wrote:

Pip did warn you.......
    what are you favourite watches and why 20161112_152245_zpsiprdclc0
    what are you favourite watches and why 20161112_141313_zps60erxzoi
    what are you favourite watches and why 20161112_152318_zpsuk34kiev

...have you had enough now? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Sun Nov 27 2016, 00:02

Roger the Dodger wrote:
    domecurb wrote:

Pip did warn you.......
    what are you favourite watches and why 20161112_152245_zpsiprdclc0
    what are you favourite watches and why 20161112_141313_zps60erxzoi
    what are you favourite watches and why 20161112_152318_zpsuk34kiev

...have you had enough now? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

that'l do Pig...that'l do

what are you favourite watches and why Tumblr_ma7wp01m3g1qeyb9ho1_250
    Elwood
    Elwood

Post by Elwood Sun Nov 27 2016, 10:48

Roger, I've seen the Orca before, but God it's stunning. Bruce, I like your choices though surprised you haven't added the Pantor to the list. As for me, my favourite are not necessarily my best. Much like some of the other posts, I've chosen them for sentimental reasons. For anyone who knows me, that a bit unusual as I'm not a sentimental type of bloke.
    I also have a Seiko Bellmatic,  very similar to Pip's, and like SeikoJohn it was this Seiko which got me really interested in watches. It has been in my family since new and was originally owned by an Uncle though he gave it to my Dad in the 80s and it ended up with me as a teenager. Needless to say it went through many a drunken scrape. Then when my Uncle was dying of cancer a couple of years ago he told me he always regretted giving the watch to my father and didn't know what happened to it, at which point I got it refurbished and sent it to him as a little present. Now it's back with me again!

what are you favourite watches and why DSCF2085_zps0f48e960

The other watch I would keep was also given to me by a family member.  It must have an interesting history as the relative who owned it knew the Castros in Cuba and US presidents alike. He also worked for NASA during the time of the moon landings

what are you favourite watches and why Bcf67778-60fe-4367-9d7b-20a5ae308f97_zpsd76ddd9f
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Sun Nov 27 2016, 11:49

@Elwood
    i think i didnt add the Pantor [ which i love ] as i only included watches that are not for sale ever Smile as for the rest....cross my palm with the appropriate weight in silver and you just never know Wink
    Elwood
    Elwood

Post by Elwood Sun Nov 27 2016, 13:01

domecurb wrote:@Elwood
    i think i didnt add the Pantor [ which i love ] as i only included watches that are not for sale ever Smile as for the rest....cross my palm with the appropriate weight in silver and you just never know Wink

I assumed the Pantor would fall into the not for sale category. Now I know the rest can be bought I'll dust down the cheque book. Hahaha!
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Sun Nov 27 2016, 13:23

Elwood wrote:
    domecurb wrote:@Elwood

I assumed the Pantor would fall into the not for sale category.  Now I know the rest can be bought I'll dust down the cheque book.  Hahaha!

i love it, its a stunning watch and i cant fault it, but it has no meaning to me..... Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 07:13