THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM

PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The meeting place for watch and clock enthusiasts also @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/Thewatchandclockforum/

Latest topics

» Anyone Around!
Thursday 17th November EmptySun Dec 27 2020, 15:54 by Robti

» sub £50 screwdriver set
Thursday 17th November EmptySun Jun 21 2020, 12:11 by Robti

» Anyone bought anything during lockdown
Thursday 17th November EmptyThu May 14 2020, 07:27 by Iceblue

» How is everybody
Thursday 17th November EmptyWed Apr 01 2020, 15:35 by Robti

» 2020 future watch collection
Thursday 17th November EmptyWed Jan 01 2020, 09:21 by Iceblue

» 31st December 2019
Thursday 17th November EmptyTue Dec 31 2019, 20:41 by Iceblue

» Happy new year too you all
Thursday 17th November EmptyTue Dec 31 2019, 20:29 by Iceblue

» Merry Christmas
Thursday 17th November EmptyWed Dec 25 2019, 21:47 by Robti

» 13th November 2019
Thursday 17th November EmptyWed Nov 13 2019, 17:54 by Iceblue

Top posting users this month

No user

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Like/Tweet/+1

Affiliates

visit Forumotion

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+

5 posters

Thursday 17th November

domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Thursday 17th November Empty Thursday 17th November

Post by domecurb Thu Nov 17 2016, 11:31

new car arriving today [ finally ] cheers
    which strangely is encouraging me to wear my favourite watch  Rolling Eyes

Thursday 17th November N5pkpf
    daff62
    daff62

Thursday 17th November Empty Re: Thursday 17th November

Post by daff62 Thu Nov 17 2016, 12:09

Still the silver cushion cased watch for me which I'm really enjoying. Very Happy

[img]Thursday 17th November Image_412[/img]

The case is hallmarked to 1929 and events in that year included the Wall Street Crash, the German airship Graf Zeppelin completing a round the world flight, Grace Kelly, Anne Frank and Audrey Hepburn were born, the St.Valentines day massacre and Alfred Hitchcocks film Blackmail was shown in London and was the first British sound film. Another world which the watch links to along with all the subsequent history.
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Thu Nov 17 2016, 12:56

daff62 wrote:Still the silver cushion cased watch for me which I'm really enjoying. Very Happy

Thursday 17th November <a href=Thursday 17th November Image_412" />

The case is hallmarked to 1929 and events in that year included the Wall Street Crash, the German airship Graf Zeppelin completing a round the world flight, Grace Kelly, Anne Frank and Audrey Hepburn were born, the St.Valentines day massacre and Alfred Hitchcocks film Blackmail was shown in London and was the first British sound film. Another world which the watch links to along with all the subsequent history.

Very Happy  great info David, is it keeping good time?
    what has that watch seen ? Smile
    daff62
    daff62

Post by daff62 Thu Nov 17 2016, 18:37

It's keeping good time Bruce. Thursday 17th November 3377044411

Apart from the history it's seen it would also be fascinating to know "its" history with the people who owned / wore the watch & the types of lives they had.

Part of the attraction for me of vintage / old watches is the history albeit the personal aspect is usually unknown. They are "survivors" of bygone eras and it's great to be a part of their history now whatever the future holds for them. Very Happy

ps hope the new car arrived safely. Very Happy
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Thu Nov 17 2016, 20:55

car arrived an hour ago in the snow Sad
    daff62
    daff62

Post by daff62 Thu Nov 17 2016, 21:11

domecurb wrote:car arrived an hour ago in the snow Sad

Hope the tears are for the snow and not the car. Shocked
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Thu Nov 17 2016, 22:34

yes for the snow and the dark as well, need to wait for daylight to see it properly
    Elwood
    Elwood

Post by Elwood Fri Nov 18 2016, 07:15

domecurb wrote:yes for the snow and the dark as well, need to wait for daylight to see it properly

What car have you bought? Seem to recall it was a Ford. I'm in the market for a used car at the moment as my little run around is falling to bits. So far I've narrowed it downed to just a couple I like and wouldn't mind the opinions of some of the members on here because you clearly seem to know more about mechanics than me! To be fair that's not hard. I'm looking at either an Audi A3, 5dr 2ltr diesel as it seems economical and I love the fact it does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. The other is completely different, bigger, more versatile and has a lot for the money, a peugeot 407 Zenith. Any opinions are welcome...
    SeikoJohn
    SeikoJohn
    Admin

Post by SeikoJohn Fri Nov 18 2016, 10:48

Not a lover of Peugeot but only because we had old 405's inthe first taxi company I worked for and they always broke down but that was 16 years ago. If you like the Audi have you looked at a Skoda ? Skoda seat and audi are all part of the same group now and all use same engines as far as I know , I had an octavia and it was a great car . Please note though I am not a mechanic Very Happy
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Fri Nov 18 2016, 12:57

Elwood wrote:
    domecurb wrote:yes for the snow and the dark as well, need to wait for daylight to see it properly

What car have you bought?  Seem to recall it was a Ford. I'm in the market for a used car at the moment as my little run around is falling to bits.  So far I've narrowed it downed to just a couple I like and wouldn't mind the opinions of some of the members on here because you clearly seem to know more about mechanics than me!  To be fair  that's not hard.  I'm looking at either an Audi A3,  5dr 2ltr diesel as it seems economical and I love the fact it does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds.  The other is completely different,  bigger,  more versatile and has a lot for the money,  a peugeot 407 Zenith.  Any opinions are welcome...  

i had the grand c-max which was written off a couple of weeks ago so have bought a citroen c4 picasso....chalk and cheese really, but i love it ! Very Happy

when it comes to european cars like peugeot,, citroen renault ford toyota fiat etc, they all use the same engines and management systems so i believe reliability are similar right across the board, there will be faults specific to brands but they all have them and i dont believe any are worse or better than each other IMO as for Audi just be aware or servicing costs and more importantly the cost of parts is horrendous
    i think these days its all about what you like, need or want, i need a car that high off the ground [ MPV] has loads of room [ MPV] diesel because we live in the sticks and comfortable for long or even short journeys the c-max and picasso tick all the boxes for me although they are so different to drive and look at
    Elwood
    Elwood

Post by Elwood Fri Nov 18 2016, 18:30

Thanks for your advice guys, much appreciated
    Iceblue
    Iceblue
    Admin

Post by Iceblue Fri Nov 18 2016, 18:54

A massive thank you to Bruce for letting me buy this watch from him , as some are aware I am partial too a few orient watches and when this came up for sale I had to buy it , it's a cracker condition wise and just put a two piece soft canvas strap on it for comfort ,

Thanks brucey

Thursday 17th November <a href=Thursday 17th November BA3E93A6-885C-4E77-A987-5AA46D64EE54_zpsg7yqdqc9" />
    SeikoJohn
    SeikoJohn
    Admin

Post by SeikoJohn Fri Nov 18 2016, 20:09

How many orient divers do you have now Andy is that the third ?? You are getting a goodlittle collection of them well done Very Happy
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Fri Nov 18 2016, 20:14

Iceblue wrote:A massive thank you to Bruce for letting me buy this watch from him , as some are aware I am partial too a few orient watches and when this came up for sale I had to buy it , it's a cracker condition wise and just put a two piece soft canvas strap on it for comfort ,

Thanks brucey

Thursday 17th November <a href=Thursday 17th November BA3E93A6-885C-4E77-A987-5AA46D64EE54_zpsg7yqdqc9" />
    you are welcome Andy, glad its going to get used Thursday 17th November 3377044411 Thursday 17th November 3377044411
    Iceblue
    Iceblue
    Admin

Post by Iceblue Fri Nov 18 2016, 20:29

SeikoJohn wrote:How many orient divers do you have now Andy is that the third ?? You are getting a goodlittle collection of them well done Very Happy

I have 4 now 1 from Bruce 1 bought back from the brink lol and 2 non runners needing movement

So in answer to question yep getting to like them I think it seem to be a bit off collecting going on
    SeikoJohn
    SeikoJohn
    Admin

Post by SeikoJohn Fri Nov 18 2016, 20:58

Iceblue wrote: I think it seem to be a bit off collecting going on

Nothing wrong with having a collection I have the same feeling with my Seiko's , in fact I seem to think that is the way my collection is heading ..... Seiko's only Very Happy
    Iceblue
    Iceblue
    Admin

Post by Iceblue Fri Nov 18 2016, 21:12

SeikoJohn wrote:

Nothing wrong with having a collection I have the same feeling with my Seiko's , in fact I seem to think that is the way my collection is heading ..... Seiko's only Very Happy

I have always had a various mixed collection and never gone for a single make watch intentionally and then from know we're 4 orient so I thinks it's fair to say orient collection is in the making Thursday 17th November 1f60d
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Fri Nov 18 2016, 21:21

Iceblue wrote:
    SeikoJohn wrote:

I have always had a various mixed collection and never gone for a single make watch intentionally and then from know we're 4 orient so I thinks it's fair to say orient collection is in the making  Thursday 17th November 1f60d
    4 relativly rare orients at that Very Happy
    Iceblue
    Iceblue
    Admin

Post by Iceblue Fri Nov 18 2016, 21:26

domecurb wrote:
    Iceblue wrote:
    SeikoJohn wrote:

I have always had a various mixed collection and never gone for a single make watch intentionally and then from know we're 4 orient so I thinks it's fair to say orient collection is in the making  Thursday 17th November 1f60d

Any idea Bruce of a movement that simlier that would replace the original movements in these orient Quartz
    domecurb
    domecurb
    Admin

Post by domecurb Fri Nov 18 2016, 21:34

Iceblue wrote:
    domecurb wrote:
    Iceblue wrote:
    SeikoJohn wrote:

Any idea Bruce of a movement that simlier that would replace the original movements in these orient Quartz

not without cutting the dial feet off and using a seiko or citizen, the orient ones are pretty unique i am afraid
    Iceblue
    Iceblue
    Admin

Post by Iceblue Fri Nov 18 2016, 21:48

Ok thanks buddy may the hunt continue may have to buy a cheap gold coloured day date orient from the bay for the movements cheers Bruce

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 07:08