THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM
PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO
Latest topics
Better than a watch Sun Oct 22 2017, 14:56Iceblue
Sunday 22 October 2017.Sun Oct 22 2017, 12:13Robti
Saturday 21 October 2017.Sat Oct 21 2017, 13:43Elwood
Friday 20th October Fri Oct 20 2017, 21:15Iceblue
Thursday 19 October 2017.Thu Oct 19 2017, 18:30Robti
Which Insert would you pick Wed Oct 18 2017, 19:40Daz
Ultra rare Seiko on eBay Wed Oct 18 2017, 16:36daff62
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Top posting users this month
88 Posts - 27%
78 Posts - 24%
42 Posts - 13%
38 Posts - 12%
31 Posts - 10%
24 Posts - 7%
22 Posts - 7%
1 Post - 0%
October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Calendar

Like/Tweet/+1
Affiliates

visit Forumotion

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+


Share
View previous topicGo downView next topic
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2014
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Someone has to ask

on Sat Oct 29 2016, 22:53
So what got our members into horology ?? For me I have since being a young adult been interested in time I think it started when I left school and got my first job as a chain boy (surveyors assistant/go for) I had to be at work on time and due to the job took an instant interest in measurements , is feet and inches correct or is metres and milimetres correct I will never know. With the new job came my first watch and then one or two more after that but no specific brand there where just something to tell the time with. Untill about 2 years ago as a taxi driver I bought my first serious watch a seiko 6309

This watch interested me its build its design and wow it didnt need a battery !! Since then I became interested in watches and my collection began mainly seiko because seiko are the best ( say they are not and I as a mod have the power to ban you ...... instantly) lol!

_________________
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2672
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Someone has to ask

on Sat Oct 29 2016, 23:20
i started at 8 years of age buying pocket watches from scout jumble sales Very Happy i have dabbled in other collectables like antiques, vintage toys, models etc but watches have always been in the background and always will be.
i think i have to agree that all round Seiko are the best Wink
avatar
Elwood
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 485
Join date : 2016-09-26
Location : South West England

Re: Someone has to ask

on Sun Oct 30 2016, 14:08
I had some money given to me at Christmas when I was a child and bought a sekonda from Argos. Then when I was a teenager I was given seiko Bellmatic which really grew my interest. I won some money for composing music when i was about 20 and bought an automatic Citizen. I got a new job at the age of 25 and bought a Kenneth Cole dress watch and then bought nothing for years. Then I got given an antique Bulova in about 2011 which completely reignited my passion for watches. It's been down hill ever since! I've still got all of the above watches, and it's only the sekonda which doesn't work.
avatar
daff62
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 1352
Join date : 2016-09-26

Re: Someone has to ask

on Mon Oct 31 2016, 14:54
It started with a 17 Jewel Sekonda wrist watch I was given for my 8th birthday. A complete surprise & I still have the watch and its box.

" />

Some years later I was interested in anything antique / vintage & started to buy pocket watches. I liked being able to identify the approximate year by the hallmarks on the silver ones. I also liked the Waltham and Elgin gold plated watches.

Many years later I was at an antique fair and a dealer took an interest in a pocket watch I was wearing to trade for a wrist watch he was wearing. I hadn't considered wrist watches before but as the wrist watch was mechanical and dated from the 1940s I agreed.

This is the watch an Omega Air Ministry issue from around 1944.

" />

From that point onwards I liked all types of watch's though always mechanical and older. I also liked silver / jewellery / art which collectively these days gets called clutter by my wife and I think she is probably right. Rolling Eyes
avatar
apm101
FULL MEMBER
Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Location : Laandaan

Re: Someone has to ask

on Tue Nov 01 2016, 09:41
I have always liked watches, even when I was a kid. Got a TAG F1 for my 21st in 1991, and wore that daily for years! For my 40th, I decided that I wanted a decent watch, ended up with an F300 diver, which was great. That led to an SKX009, then an Oris TT1, and onward from there. Since that epiphany, I have probably owned a couple of hundred...
avatar
Mr Levity
Posts : 130
Join date : 2016-12-06
Age : 52
Location : Essex

Re: Someone has to ask

on Tue Dec 06 2016, 22:10
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
My wife's Great Aunt gave me her late husband's J W Benson watch. I tried to find out a bit about it and somehow got distracted by vintage Seikos. I went from rarely wearing a watch to wearing at least two different watches a day and a collection of a hundred and several in 5 years.
Guest
Guest

Re: Someone has to ask

on Tue Dec 06 2016, 22:47
It all started when I asked for some advice about pocket watches over on TWF. I had just joined the Freemasons and wanted info on a good PW to buy. After I left the masons, my interest in PWs subsided, but as I had seen so many other wrist watches, I was already hooked, and have been ever since. These days, however, the watches tend to take a back seat (unless something special like the 'Orca' come along) and I visit the various forums to chat and have a laugh with my friends.
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2672
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Someone has to ask

on Tue Dec 06 2016, 22:52
Mr Levity wrote:My wife's Great Aunt gave me her late husband's J W Benson watch. I tried to find out a bit about it and somehow got distracted by vintage Seikos. I went from rarely wearing a watch to wearing at least two different watches a day and a collection of a hundred and several in 5 years.

its an illness i'm telling ya ! been campaigning for years for the NHS to provide treatment Sad
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2014
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: Someone has to ask

on Wed Dec 07 2016, 11:31
domecurb wrote:
Mr Levity wrote:My wife's Great Aunt gave me her late husband's J W Benson watch. I tried to find out a bit about it and somehow got distracted by vintage Seikos. I went from rarely wearing a watch to wearing at least two different watches a day and a collection of a hundred and several in 5 years.

its an illness i'm telling ya !  been campaigning for years for the NHS to provide treatment  Sad

You are beyond any help or treatment Shocked
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2672
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Someone has to ask

on Wed Dec 07 2016, 11:46
SeikoJohn wrote:
domecurb wrote:
Mr Levity wrote:My wife's Great Aunt gave me her late husband's J W Benson watch. I tried to find out a bit about it and somehow got distracted by vintage Seikos. I went from rarely wearing a watch to wearing at least two different watches a day and a collection of a hundred and several in 5 years.

its an illness i'm telling ya !  been campaigning for years for the NHS to provide treatment  Sad

You are beyond any help or treatment Shocked

i know Sad i "clocked" that years ago when i developed trouble with my "hands" and "face" plus my "movements" have been modified Shocked the Doc say i am the strangest "case" he has seen and to "crown" it all it seems my problems "stem" from another "time"

i know..not very "punny" lol!
avatar
SeikoJohn
Admin
Posts : 2014
Join date : 2016-09-19
Age : 45
Location : Middlesbrough

Re: Someone has to ask

on Wed Dec 07 2016, 11:56
domecurb wrote:
SeikoJohn wrote:
domecurb wrote:
Mr Levity wrote:My wife's Great Aunt gave me her late husband's J W Benson watch. I tried to find out a bit about it and somehow got distracted by vintage Seikos. I went from rarely wearing a watch to wearing at least two different watches a day and a collection of a hundred and several in 5 years.

its an illness i'm telling ya !  been campaigning for years for the NHS to provide treatment  Sad

You are beyond any help or treatment Shocked

i know Sad  i "clocked" that years ago when i developed trouble with my "hands" and "face" plus my "movements" have been modified Shocked the Doc say i am the strangest "case" he has seen and to "crown" it all it seems my problems "stem" from another "time"  

i know..not very "punny" lol!

Please this time feel free to get your coat ... hat... scarf ... and also the suitcase we have left by the door for you
avatar
domecurb
Admin
Posts : 2672
Join date : 2016-09-18
Location : Scotland
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Someone has to ask

on Wed Dec 07 2016, 11:59
SeikoJohn wrote:
domecurb wrote:
SeikoJohn wrote:
domecurb wrote:
Mr Levity wrote:My wife's Great Aunt gave me her late husband's J W Benson watch. I tried to find out a bit about it and somehow got distracted by vintage Seikos. I went from rarely wearing a watch to wearing at least two different watches a day and a collection of a hundred and several in 5 years.

its an illness i'm telling ya !  been campaigning for years for the NHS to provide treatment  Sad

You are beyond any help or treatment Shocked

i know Sad  i "clocked" that years ago when i developed trouble with my "hands" and "face" plus my "movements" have been modified Shocked the Doc say i am the strangest "case" he has seen and to "crown" it all it seems my problems "stem" from another "time"  

i know..not very "punny" lol!

Please this time feel free to get your coat ... hat... scarf ... and also the suitcase we have left by the door for you

The Taxi engine is running Sad
Sponsored content

Re: Someone has to ask

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum