THE WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM
PLEASE TAKE TIME TO REGISTER AND JOIN IN, WE ARE A FRIENDLY FORUM WHERE EVERYONE IS MADE TO FEEL WELCOME
STICK AROUND AND SAY HELLO
Latest topics
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Top posting users this month
35 Posts - 41%
18 Posts - 21%
16 Posts - 19%
11 Posts - 13%
6 Posts - 7%
June 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar

Like/Tweet/+1
Affiliates

visit Forumotion

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+

Go down
SeikoJohn
Admin

Replaced a couple of watch glasses today

on Thu Mar 08 2018, 16:23
My Kirby Morgan and one of my Seiko 7T32 Chrono's both needed their crystals replacing as they had scratches on them so the other day I removed the movements and popped out the crystals so I could measure them up for replacements . I was advised in the past if the replacements are cheap enough to buy 2 as they can break really easy .

Delivery from Cousins arrived today with 4 crystals so out with movements out with the old crystals and in with the new I am happy now all went well and they look a lot better .

Before

If you look at the Kirby crystal it looks as though it has some kind of paint or glue on it

After

Happy days Very Happy Very Happy

Admin
http://thewatch-clockforum.forumotion.co.uk

Re: Replaced a couple of watch glasses today

on Thu Mar 08 2018, 17:08
well done, two transformations.the old crystal from the Kirby looks like its been on a welders wrist Shocked
i assume the sizes worked out ok then ?
it never stops amazing me how a little attention can turn a sad case into a gem Very Happy

"itsabrawbrichtmoonlichtnichtthenicht" - R.Burns
SeikoJohn
Admin

on Thu Mar 08 2018, 17:40
The crystal sizes are spot on everything went smoothly Very Happy

I also changed the clasp over on one of the bracelets for a plain clasp but when done I wore the watch and the bracelet was not that comfy so I have decided to buy some more bracelets now , cant decide if I should go curved edges or straight.

on Thu Mar 08 2018, 19:02
Quite a transformation John, well done. 

Out of interest how do the crystals come out or are fitted?

Does it need a tool to press them into place or a gasket to seal the case to make the watch waterproof? Just curious as invariably what sounds straightforward with watches isn’t. scratch
SeikoJohn
Admin

on Thu Mar 08 2018, 19:35
@daff62 wrote:Out of interest how do the crystals come out or are fitted?
Does it need a tool to press them into place or a gasket to seal the case to make the watch waterproof? Just curious as invariably what sounds straightforward with watches isn’t. scratch

Probably better to watch this rather than me describe how to do it , The press I use is very similar to his but here is mine

None of the watches I have replaced crystals in have had gaskets but I believe some of them do .

on Fri Mar 09 2018, 12:08
Thank you John, that was very interesting. 
Robti

on Fri Mar 09 2018, 19:46
Definitely something wrong with that panda now you have fixed it I don’t think you should wear it, I have a wrist for it

SeikoJohn
Admin

on Fri Mar 09 2018, 20:34
@Robti wrote:Definitely something wrong with that panda now you have fixed it I don’t think you should wear it, I have a wrist for it

Nice try but this one will definitely be getting worn.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum